Sign in to follow this  
droseradude

drosophylum germination poll

how long did your drosophyllum take to sprout?  

19 members have voted

1. 1.

• less than a week
    • 1 week
    • 2 weeks
    • 3 weeks
    • 4 weeks

Hey,

it's sort of annoying how long drosophyllum take to germinate. POst how long it took your seeds, and if you got a "good time" (2 weeks or less) please post which growing conditons you used. Thanks!

droseradude

Guest Sheila

My first seed germinated after a week and other seeds planted at the same time germinated over the course of several weeks. I think it depends on how the seed is treated prior to sowing that makes all the difference. I gave the seeds a good rub with wet and dry sandpaper. (trying to cut the edge of the seed as suggested in the books cost me too many seeds, they shot off in all directions when I tried that method.) Then I dropped the seeds into a glass of rainwater and left them to soak for 5 days. After soaking I sowed the seeds on the surface of my chosen mix, which was 1 part sand, 1 part vermiculite and 1 part perlite, in the pot the plant was to permanently grow in.

One year for me! :shock:

:roll: i forgotten to scarificate the seeds before the sowing.

I sow them in a sand, peat, perlite (70%, 20%, 10% ) substrate.

Cheers

For me fresh seed germinated without any treatment at rates of 50-90%. But establishing the seedlings was not successful in my setup.

Jan

I got 40-50% germination of fresh seed in 1-4 weeks with no pretreatment. Soil is half perlite, half sharp sand and a little vermiculite and grit in 9 inch clay pots (the drain hole is covered with sphagnum moss to prevent loss of the media). Watered once at the sowing time and then very infrequenty. I sowed in autumn and kept the seedlings, once germinated, really quite dry for a few months (watering sparingly maybe once a month) and have had no damping off. They now have woody bases and I hope they are over the danger phase. Temps were 8-30C at germination time, and over winter down to 0C. They are in what passes for full sun in winter in London.

Best wishes.

Guest Sheila

I only soaked my seed for 5 days because I was following instructions in a book. Whether it is necessary or not I don't know. The book also suggested germinating the seed on wet vermiculite, transfering the seeds as they germinated to the pot they would live in, but every one I transfered damped off and died. I only had success with seed I sowed directly into the pot.

I think the main thing you need to do to get them to germinate, is to break through the hard shell of the seed, without damaging the soft part in the middle, before sowing.