Folded Seed Envelope

mobile

Here's a guide to making a folded, non-glue or tape, seed envelope. The construction can take a fair bit of abuse without falling apart. It also has the advantage of being customisable to the size required, within reason. I cannot take the credit for this as I believe that this design has been used on spice markets for a very long time. I recommend that you practice making an empty one first, prior to making one containing seed.

1. Place a square or rectangular sheet of paper on a flat surface. For the purpose of this guide I have used a square note (9cm x 9cm) which is a good size for small seeds:

pic1.jpg

2. Fold the paper approximately 1cm from below the centre line, to allow for a 1cm flap at the top:

pic2.jpg

3. Fold the flap at the top down:

pic3.jpg

4. Turn the paper over, so that the flap is now facing the table, at the top:

pic4.jpg

5. Fold the top right corner down diagonally to form a triangle:

pic5.jpg

6. Fold the bottom right corner up diagonally to form another triangle:

pic6.jpg

7. Tuck the bottom right corner triangle under the flap:

pic7.jpg

8. Write the seed name on the opposite side of the envelope.

9. Add seeds to the open (left) end:

pic8.jpg

10. Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 but for the left corners.

pic9.jpgpic10.jpg

11. This final step isn't really necessary for the integrity of the envelope, but it tidies things up a little. Fold the little outwards facing triangles, which have formed at the bottom of the flap, underneath the flap:

pic11.jpg

11. Voilà:

pic12.jpg

• Like 1

Hello,

this envelope looks very good but it is a coplex way of folding the paper.

I use the way descriped at ICPS seed bank see here

regards

Hans-Jürgen

Hi,

I agree that the one on ICPS is simpler but I also find it to have more gaps, but maybe that's just the way I fold it? The one above takes seconds to fold after making the first few and all the seals are tight.

Edited by mobile

I ran out of little glassine envelopes last night halfway through collecting up my vft seed, I was certainly glad to have found this!!

I have to say I tried both methods and prefer yours Carl, feels a bit more secure - plus I think it looks better :sun_bespectacled: By the time you've figured out the first one the 2nd is actually pretty easy to remember anyway and doesnt take long at all.

Thanks for the useful post! I dont have to wait for delivery of new seed envelopes now, i can just make my own :sun_bespectacled:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

What's up with using old envelopes you can cut them to size and fold other edges .

Nothing, as far as I'm aware. There's nothing wrong with the traditional glassine envelopes either. I was just making people aware of another option if they hadn't got anything suitable to hand, afterall, most of us will have paper in the house.