Pinguicula grandiflora Lam. subsp. rosea (Mutel) Casper

Hello everybody,

Pinguicula grandiflora is a widespread temperate butterworth occuring in western Europe (from northern Spain up to Ireland). This species shows a few variations in flower colors. The pale-lilac flowered one (also much smaller than the type one) was named Pinguicula grandiflora var. rosea by Mutel. However, Casper in his monography of the genus Pinguicula renamed it Pinguicula grandiflora Lam. subsp. rosea (Mutel) Casper because no Pinguicula grandiflora Lam. subsp. grandiflora Lam. were found growing among its populations.

This plant is endemic to French Alps, however an unique artificial station exist(ed ?) in Switzerland. In fact, there are two groups of populations, 100km far from each other: the first one near Grenoble in the Isère department, the second around Sallanches in the Haute Savoie department. In this report, I will only speak about the first group that I better know, I hope to visite all the second group next year. This group is composed of 8 locations: 2 in the Chartreuse massif (a calcareous mountain) and 6 in Belledonne (a granitique mountain chain). So it has a large variety of ecology and not at all restricted to calcareous soil as it was thought first. This variety of habitats leads to a great variety of size and shape.

Station n°1: a marly cliff with calcareous dripping water and along a little stream, both along the road. This is the best known station and most of the plants now in collection are from this one.

Station n°2: along a hicking path, under pine forest with lot of sphagnum.

Although this taxon is quite small (almost half the size of the grandiflora type), the plants from this station can become very big (I began to distribute it under the nickname "Giant plant"):

Station n°3: a marly cliff with calcareous dripping water along the road. This station is totally new with very few plants at the moment but it is in expansion. There, it grows along with Pinguicula vulgaris L. f. vulgaris L. that has reddish leaves.

Station n°4: a peat bog.

Here it grows along with Pinguicula grandiflora Lam. subsp. grandiflora Lam., Pinguicula x scullyi Druce and Pinguicula vulgaris L. f. vulgaris L.:

Edited by kisscool_38

Station n°5: among grasses along the road.

With a pollinator:

Station n°6: along a hicking path, under pine forest, very acidic soil. By far, the largest station with thousands of plants.

Station n°7: alkalin bog under trees. A few plants in collection comes from this station. Here are also a few Pinguicula alpina, and not very far Pinguicula vulgaris L. f. vulgaris L. and Pinguicula grandiflora Lam. subsp. grandiflora Lam.

Station n°8 (the only station in Savoie). An alkalin bog with a great slope. Ot is growing along with many Pinguicula alpina, and very few Pinguicula grandiflora Lam. subsp. grandiflora Lam.

In the near future, I believe that some more stations will be discovered. Some potentiel sites are not along any road or trail and are difficult to access.

I hope you enjoyed and that will be useful for your cultures.

Edited by kisscool_38