Mt Roraima

Continuing my series of posts on the Canaima National Park, situated in the Gran Sabana region in the south of Bolivar state, Venezuela, this one concentrates on Mt Roraima.

Mount Roraima is the second largest and most famous of the tepuis. At 2400 metres above sea level it is also one of the highest. Other than by helicopter, there is only one way up; a natural rock ‘ramp’ climbs up the cliff face and this can be ascended in less than a day. The vegetation on the route on the way up is quite different to that of the lowlands and that of the summit plateau. The steeply ascending path works it way up through cloud forest with massive tree ferns (Cyathea sp.) and impressive waterfalls. Amongst the thick, luxuriant mosses the interesting little fern relative Schizaea dichotoma grows along with the electric blue-leaved fern Elaphoglossum wurdackii. Various epiphytic Utricularia sp. were seen but none were in flower and they could not be identified.

Leaving this enchanted forest behind as you near the summit, the incredible view across the Gran Sabana appears on your left and the cliff-face towers up into the clouds on your right. Vertigo sufferers beware!

Within five minutes of reaching the summit the red pitchers of Heliamphora nutans could be seen everywhere, with most plants in full flower. Many Heliamphora were seen growing in hanging gardens, vast lumps of vegetation that oozed over the sides of boulders the size of houses. Exploring the plateau summit over a week, it soon became apparent that the populations of Heliamphora nutans were only found around the edge where the condensing clouds maintain a higher humidity than the interior of the mountain.

Heliamphora_nutans_1.JPGHeliamphora_nutans_2.JPG

Heliamphora_nutans_3.JPGHeliamphora_nutans_4.JPG

Heliamphora_nutans_5.JPGHeliamphora_nutans_6.JPG

Heliamphora_nutans_7.JPG

Heliamphora kindergarten.

Heliamphora_nutans_nursery.JPG

Although we didn't get to see Heliamphora glabra itself, we did find its' hybrid with H. nutans. This is the plant known as H. nutans 'giant' in cultivation. This, the only example we found, must have been very old as it covered an estimated area roughly 6 x 3 metres. In the background Darren 'Spot' Cullen can be seen giving some scale.

Heliamphora_glabra_x_nutans.JPG

Carpets of Drosera roraimae grew everywhere and almost every puddle had little gardens of Genlisea sp. growing in them. A few Brocchinia reducta were seen, although this species seemed quite scarce on Roraima compared to other tepuis.

Drosera_roraimae.JPG

Drosera_roraimae_1.JPG

Drosera_roraimae_2.JPG

Drosera hirticalyx was also found but was much more rare. Only a couple of small colonies were located. Sorry about the quality of the photo.

Drosera_hirticalyx.JPG

The strange Roraima Toad, Oreophrenella quelchii, is sometimes seen but most often heard amongst low vegetation. It slowly walks everywhere as it can neither swim nor hop.

Oreophrenella_quelchii.JPG

• Like 1

Spectacular report Andy. You know another interesting thing about O. quelchii ?? It rolls up as a ball and just tumbles down when it has to climb down a rock. ;) Thanks for sharing. :) Amazing pictures!!!

Thanks for the pics and for the info on H.nutans "giant", I was not aware of this! Nor did I know that these hybrids were found on Roraima, I don't remember seeing them. Has anybody ever seen H.glabra itself there, or could it be that pollinators flew between these 2 neighboring mountains?

Thanks tons,

Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. If I remember well the altitude of Roraima is more like 2600-2700m, with the highest point at nearly 2800m...

Edited by Fernando Rivadavia

Thanks for all your comments. Fernando, The hybrid Heli pictured was the only one of its' kind we found. After wandering the summit for a week, we headed for the 'Prow', which I believe is in the north, this is the pointy bit that has been made famous in the aerial shots of the mountain. Apparently here there is a small population of pure H. glabra. Due to the sheer size of the mountain we never made it to the Prow or Lake Gladys and thus never found H. glabra. We did get quite close though and after an abscence of any Heliamphora in the interior of the mountain, we finally found this plant, not far from the Valley Of The Crystals and near Hotel Coati. According to Stewart McPherson, this H. glabra population can be seen in David Attenboroughs' Private Life Of Plants series, available on DVD. When he visited the mountain, he landed at the Prow.

Martin - I am saving up!!!

I hope this is of some help

Cheers

Andy

Thanks for the info Andy, I did not know this! It's amazing how huge that mountan is, huh? You'd think a week would be enough to criss-cross it - so far from reality, hahaha. I hiked to the triple border one day and I think this took 4h. And it's still really far from the Prow! Was this hybrid population after the Valley of the Crystals and before the triple border? If so, I'll be really frustrated for not having seen it, hahaha!

Thanks again,

Fernando

It is interesting that H. glabra is the only Heliamphora on Uei tepui to the south east of Roraima, occurs commonly and hybridises with H. nutans on Yakontipu and Wei Assipu to the east of Roraima, and is so rare on Roraima itself.

It looks like it might be in the process of extending its distribution and has only reached Roraima recently.

Perhaps it can colonise the lowland areas between the tepuis and then spread uphill to their summits.

LeeB.

Lee, thanks for the info on the range of H.glabra!

Hard to guess this sort of info on a human time scale. It might be increasing its range, decreasing, or just sitting static waiting for smore drastic climate changes to push it towards success or extinction!

Best wishes,

Fernando

Hello,

Fernando, the hybrid character of H. nutans 'Giant' was speculated earlier. Regarding the glabrous patches of the upper pitcher interiour, an introgression with H. glabra seemed likely. As the H. nutans 'Giant' was introduced by Kew Gardens (or a different source in the UK?) several decades ago, it was obvious that it could not have been a manmade hybrid as well. Thus it was more or less an open secret that this could only have been a natural hybrid between H. nutans and H. glabra. I was able to confirm this by molecular data, too.

The hybrid is frequently found on Roraimita and Monte Yakontipu (and the uplands in between), for example, were both H. glabra and H. nutans grow sympatrically (but not on Cerro El Sol/Uei-Tepui, where H. glabra seems to grow in "pure" populations).

The only report of H. glabra from Roraima however seems to be the background appearence in David Attenborough's films, and Stew's report on this. But the hybrid is apparently more common in the northernmost part of Roraima, as I have already seen several photographs of the hybrid from there. It's just that the northern part of Roraima is more difficult to access, and less touristy than the croweded rest of that tepui.

All the best,

Andreas

Edited by Andreas Fleischmann

Once again....truly fantastic guys!!

I was wondering!! What would it take to try and stimulate such an environment in cultivation?

THis is what I mean:

Imagine using a rock surface: Slate (to keep a balanced pH). So...I arrange the slate one on top of the other...leaving a 3-4 inch depression between layers. Now, most of the media seems to have come from pulverized/crushed rock. If I recall correctly...it seems to be turning as a MAT full of dense roots. From experience and pictures, Heliamphora roots are huge. So that means they are adapting to the conditions and technically speaking, they should be grown shallow to be closest to their wild cousins. Now I am assuming that it rains everyday (Sir David, PLoP 05)..the hard part will be preventing the media running off from the plant. So perhaps the best choice of media would be milled sphagnum moss such that it won't run off with the water.

BTW.....do you guys have to wash the soles of your feet/shoes when you take the trip up to the tepui to prevent introducing foreign species up there? Also...just out of curiosity... How do the Heliamphora seem to be persisting there? Listening about all this issue of H. glabra on Mt. Roraima, I am wondering...is Heliamphora as a genus gaining ground on the tepui? Is it rapidly moving to new locations colonizing every single patch of soil on the table top?? How would you classify it is?? An aggressive genus?

thanks,

V

Hello,

do you guys have to wash the soles of your feet/shoes when you take the trip up to the tepui to prevent introducing foreign species up there?

Actually everyone should! But noone does! That's why several weeds already have been introduced to the two "tourisitc" tepuis, Auyán and Roraima.

The extremely invasive, annual Asteraceae weeds Gnaphalium (cudweed) and Bidens (bur-marigold or beggar-ticks), which you can find all long the path to the top plateau of Roraima most likely came with shoes of hikers, so did Urtica (stinging nettle), which thrives well in disturbed and more nutrient rich spots on the tepui summits (i.e. toilet places). A severe threat to native tepui shurbs is a weedy species of Rubus (bramble/blackberry), that is not native to Venezuela (most likely a North American species). In 2004, I was already worried about a large stand of that plant at the basecamp of Roraima (which for certain grew from seed carried by or within some tourist), and removed all plantlets of Rubus that I could find along the hotels (sleeping places) on top of Roraima.

Only 5 years later, hughe populations of Rubus could be found near almost every hotel on Roraima I had been to (usually growing in the preferred toilet spots). I doubt that this species can be removed from the summit of Roraima again, because every hiker grazing some blackberries before the summit to the top will carry fresh seed of this weed in his guts to the top! Human endozoochory at its worst!

Well, personally, I always buy a new pair of hiking boots for every field trip to a different country in order not to introduce foreign organisms, or at least to minimize the risk! (However I have to admit that I never had any enemata before traveling ;)) But everyone who is climbing Roraima could easily carry seeds (and even worse: soil particles with foreign fungi, bacteria etc.) from a distinct country, or even just from the lowlands of the Gran Sabana to the isolated summit of the remote tepuis!

Noone apparently has learned from the horrible damage which introduced northern hemispere Phythium and Phytophthora "fungi" (actually that's a parasitic fungus-like organism not related to fungi but to brown algae) has caused and is still causing on the Australian native flora!!

How would you classify it is?? An aggressive genus?

All plant species of the tepui summits have adapted to harsh conditions, poor nutrient availability and cool temperatures. That's why all of them can be considered very slow growers. Even if Heliamphora seems to reach maturity in its native habitats faster than in cultivation (where some species take ages to produce their first adult pitchers if grown from seed), it's not a weedy grower. Most tepui plants occupy certain well-defined ecological niches, and competition in the more open tepui vegetation is generally low. Plant communites "arrange" at a certain level and species composition and species number, maybe best compared to undisturbed northern hemisphere meadow ecosystems (species composition and number at a more or less constant level over a very long time, no succession).

The impact of human disturbance is hughe on such "balanced" slow growing ecosystems!

For example, on Amurí-tepui, we still could clearly see the footprints of an expedition which was made to that area 5 (five!) years ago! They looked like fresh footprints in the tepui meadows, and have not been overgrown by vegetation within five years! Most tepui plants are not adapted to distrubance, and only have a very low potential for regrowth. Any Brocchinia, Stegolepis, Chimantea, etc. that someone has stepped on will slowly decay, but not regrow from lateral buds!

That's the very bad feeling I always had in mind during my expeditions to the Venezuelan tepuis! Every tiny footprint you leave in those fragile ecosystems will be present for a veeeery long time!

All the best,

Andreas

Thanks for the quick reply Andreas. :)

Hmm!!! Truly sad to hear!! Introduction of invasive species is always a risk when going to these remote habitats. Its always difficult to completely remove those from the tepui. No matter how hard one can try, the tepui have been changed forever thanks to the human influence. It has become another place which is facing the human footprint. I guess all we can do is sit back and watch the game of 'natural selection'. Those 'weeds' you described will now start adapting to the environment and in-time, make itself established completely. Heck!!! Perhaps its weeds like these which have given rise to the multiple species of plants which we/you see up there.

I guess the more important thing you mentioned is the human footprint (Literally!!). Soil compaction is often ignored but a very drastic and obvious thing that occurs and changes the local foundation of the flora. Its sad if you think about it: Its such a paradox. In order to protect areas like this, the country can declare them as global heritage sites and open them up for tourists to admire and observe. This way its a great source of income. Ironically, this can lead to the destruction of the habitat itself....although at a slower pace than direct development, poaching etc . (I do realize development will never take place on the tepui :chiffa: ... I guess I am referring to all of the CP habitats in general). If I think about it, I remember that in bogs, they place WODDEN PATHS where people can walk. Although, the purpose there is to guide people such that they don't sink in the wasteland :morons:.....but perhaps doing that can help minimize human disturbance on the tepui.

I have also heard that there is now a lot of refuse on the tepui thanks to in-considerate tourists. Has management in the venezulan govt. made any specific rules regarding this? THe saddest part will be to go up the tepui only to see cans of coke and plastic bags scattered among the vegetation. Truly a sad sight for habitat that has remained undisturbed for a millennium.

Hi Andreas,

H. nutans has been reported from Mt. Maringma to the east of Yakontipu, do you know if H. glabra also occurs there?

And have any Heliamphora been found yet on the nearby tepui variously called Appacaima or Appocailang?

Also have you seen the pictures online of a Heliamphora photographed on Waukauyengtipu (also known as Cerro Venamo) from northwest of Ilu and Tramen and identified as H. nutans.

If you haven't search on the name of the tepui and Heliamphora and scroll down to expedition 15 if I remember correctly.

As this tepui is so far from Roraima and Kukenan I wonder if it is something new.

LeeB.

Hi LeeB.,

The plants from Cerro Venamo have for ceratin been missidentified as H. nutans (an estimated 50% of all Helimaphora herbarium specimens are wrongly identified!), and are much closer to H. heterodoxa. The are very similar to what we all call H. heterodoxa 'lowland' from the Gran Sabana. In fact, Cerro Venamo is part of an elevated montane range in the northern uplands of the Gran Sabana, and its very close to the few frequently visited lowlands sites of H. heterodoxa (where the plants in cultivation originate from).

I did not see any specimens nor photographs of H. nutans, H. glabra or the hybrid from Mt. Maringma and the smaller plateaus/hills SE of Roraima yet. This area is underepresented in Venezuelan herbaria, and almost no expeditions were made to this region (were Drosera solaris might grow as well!)

I really will have to visit more Brazilian herbaria soon.... ;)

Andreas

Hi LeeB.,

The plants from Cerro Venamo have for ceratin been missidentified as H. nutans (an estimated 50% of all Helimaphora herbarium specimens are wrongly identified!), and are much closer to H. heterodoxa. The are very similar to what we all call H. heterodoxa 'lowland' from the Gran Sabana. In fact, Cerro Venamo is part of an elevated montane range in the northern uplands of the Gran Sabana, and its very close to the few frequently visited lowlands sites of H. heterodoxa (where the plants in cultivation originate from).

I did not see any specimens nor photographs of H. nutans, H. glabra or the hybrid from Mt. Maringma and the smaller plateaus/hills SE of Roraima yet. This area is underepresented in Venezuelan herbaria, and almost no expeditions were made to this region (were Drosera solaris might grow as well!)

I really will have to visit more Brazilian herbaria soon.... ;)

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

thanks for that.

Visiting Guyanan herbaria would be useful too.

But if you do visit any Brazilian herbaria see if they have any collections from the tepuis 80-100km to the south east of Neblina, these reach 2500m and should have interesting Heliamphora.

LeeB.

Hi guys, I'm not sure you'll find many Helis in BRazilian herbaria unfortunately.... Not many expeditions have been made to these remote highlands of N Brazil. I've only been to the Serra do Aracá, which was high enough for Helis, but doesn't seem to have any unfortunately.

LeeB, I think you are referring to some highlands called Serra da Anta. I've seen a collection of D.roraimae from there. Ah, how I wish I had my own helicopter.... and the money to fuel it of course! :)

Take care,

Fernando

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Fernando,

I had not seen that mountain mass given that name; when I look it up it is used for another area in Brazil.

People do keep recycling names.

The only discussion of this area I have seen is on a list of ultra peaks by the mountaineering fraternity.

It is a pity that the people who collected the D. roraimae did not collect any Heliamphora; they may have been the only people to collect plants from there.

Certainly it seems as uncollected botanically as the Tulu-Tuloi range to the north west of Serra Araca, but if the mountaineering people are correct the Tutu-Tuloi's are lower, only around 2000m; whereas this Serra da Anta reaches 2500m.

You will have to put going there on your really long term to do list.

LeeB.