Funnel Trap Reverting?

Trev

I'm starting to think that the clone Funnel Trap / Trichterfalle is gradually reverting - I've noticed a gradual reduction in the number of funnelled traps over the last few years, last year there was only 2 funnelled traps on my plants, and so far this year there has been none, (the feathering on the petioles is still as strong as ever). I'd be interested to hear what's happening to other growers Funnel Trap plants.

Trev.

I'm starting to think that the clone Funnel Trap / Trichterfalle is gradually reverting - I've noticed a gradual reduction in the number of funnelled traps over the last few years, last year there was only 2 funnelled traps on my plants, and so far this year there has been none, (the feathering on the petioles is still as strong as ever). I'd be interested to hear what's happening to other growers Funnel Trap plants.

Trev.

Perhaps the genes that cause this trait are influenced (switched on or off) by some environmental factor. Has anything changed in the conditions you grow them, eg soil, temp, light, water etc?

Really hope this isnt the case, quite an interesting plant when it does produce these characteristic traps. I havent been growing this clone long enough to comment really, I remember having a couple of funnel type traps in 07, didnt see any last year but the plant had been divided quite a bit over summer and took a while to recover. I havent seen any so far this year but I may just be being unobservant! I'll have a check when I get home.

Really hope this isnt the case, quite an interesting plant when it does produce these characteristic traps. I havent been growing this clone long enough to comment really, I remember having a couple of funnel type traps in 07, didnt see any last year but the plant had been divided quite a bit over summer and took a while to recover. I havent seen any so far this year but I may just be being unobservant! I'll have a check when I get home.

That means you are browsing the forum at work?

:tongue:

When I first received Funnel Trap / Trichterfalle in 2002 the plants were growing about 1 funelled trap to every 3 or 4 normal ones, the reduction seems to have been a gradual one.

Mantrid, I dont think it's any one particular change in conditions, but I did notice stressed plants grew more than happy ones, so maybe they are all just too happy :-)

Trev.

I did notice stressed plants grew more than happy ones, so maybe they are all just too happy :-)

Well I guess mine must be too happy aswell then! just checked all mine and no funnel traps as yet this season - still a few months til the end of the season though so fingers crossed!!

Heather

Hi Trev :)

same thing for me since 2008, only about 3or 4 traps with funnel on adult plants.

getattachment45.jpg

But young divisions seems to produce more caracteristic traps and plants that i grow under artificial light too.

Kind regards

Gayl ;)

Edited by Lophophora

Being grown too dry or outside in Germany over winter would both stress the plants.

Apparently being grown too wet makes the feathering a lot more pronounced, but I dont know if it has any affect on the amount of funnelled traps produced.

Hi Trev

I grow my Trichterfalle since January outside in Germany. In the spring they makes almost only funnel traps, but now only typical traps.

I think in the autum they make some funnel trap.

I hava a clon who makes typical traps and has the same petiole like a funnel Trap. This DM grows near the funnel Trap.

Sometimes i cant see the different. :yes:

Sorry for my bad english

Bye

• 8 months later...

Hello to all,

interesting thread...

so i have a lot of "Trichterfalle", i think more than 60, and there are many different plants...

There are plants, which makes big funnels, otherones which make long petiole and small funnels and some which makes very red traps. But all plants make a lot of funnels all around the year especially in spring and autumn.

I have 2 plant, too, which makes only 2-3 "normal" leafs every year.

But the most interesting is that there are any which make "Schuppen" (--> scales) and some with none scales.

If i have some time, i will make some photos to show you.

Best regards

Matze

Could it be that the funnel trap has been chemically induced initially and is not directly controlled by altered genes. And that over the years and through successive divisions the chemical is being diluted in the tissue or even being lost with the result that it is no longer of sufficient concentration to exert its effect? Just a theory, what do you think?

I pot some "Trichterfalle" today and make also some spectacular observations.

I have some plants, like Matze´s, with some deep red traps, some are full green. Others have also long petioles with very tiny funnels. 3 or 4 plants build ONLY funnels.

And now the most interesting thing - i have one plant which grows over the substrate like a "Cudo".

It seems that the "Trichterfalle" or "Funneltrap" is one of the most variable VFT´s.

I will also post some photos the next days!

Funeeltrap 4ever!!!

Besrt regards,

Thomas

Hi,

@ Mantrid: I don´t think so, because the seeds were placed in colchicine, and were caused by genetic changes during germination. This change is permanently available and is also inherited.

@ Thomas:

Funneltrap for ever
Genau, weiter so...