Sundew Seeds Drive Me Crazy!

jimscott

When I was new to the hobby, and scarfng up every trading post offering possible, all I did was sprinkle seeds on the slightly wet surface of pipette containers. I shut the lid and placed at a window sill. In about 3 weeks, most of the time, seeds germinated. For the past year or so, I've been putting them in pots, slightly moist, covered, under a fluorescent light, room temp... and most of the time, nothing happens. All things being equal, excluding those that require special treatment, why am I having the worst time with easy sundews, like burmannii, intermedia, spatulata, anglica, natalesnis, capillaris? Do they want bright shade... warmer temps, more light, less light, more water,... what? what do you do?

When I was new to the hobby, and scarfng up every trading post offering possible, all I did was sprinkle seeds on the slightly wet surface of pipette containers. I shut the lid and placed at a window sill. In about 3 weeks, most of the time, seeds germinated. For the past year or so, I've been putting them in pots, slightly moist, covered, under a fluorescent light, room temp... and most of the time, nothing happens. All things being equal, excluding those that require special treatment, why am I having the worst time with easy sundews, like burmannii, intermedia, spatulata, anglica, natalesnis, capillaris? Do they want bright shade... warmer temps, more light, less light, more water,... what? what do you do?

Aloha Jim,

might be small things that affect certain species or even populations of certain species. D. capillaris for example, I have only played with the long arm or giant forms form Florida, but I can see that they don't germinate very well in covered/enclosed, warm, humid conditions. They seemed to not germinate at all. Move them outside on a bench without a cover ...bingo. They have gotten to be a weed for me I have seedlings sprouting everywhere on one bench. This was more with the Polk CO population vs the Seminole CO population. So may vary by population.

D. intermedia OTOH, the tropical forms seem to to well for me only in warm humid conditions. They germinate poorly for me outside on the bench. These guys are in one of my petiolaris group set ups. Warm (95+F in the day and very high humidity). Under shop lights and in a 55 gallon aquarium in my air conditioned lab they never germinated. Might be different for the temperate forms, but I have never played with them. I need to move some outside and see what they do, but running out of room on my benches and it is dipping down to the 50's overnight....

Cant really say on the others. I'm only fooling with the Hawaiian forms of anglica and they are so far, very easy to germinate. Right now I am of the mind that burmannii is harder for me to get going than sessilifolia.

Mach Fukada

Thanks for the feedback. I've got a tub of LFS / water on the porch. I tossed some capillaris and Petiolaris scapes in there last week. I also toss binata and filiformis leaves.

Picture015-1.jpg

Picture040-1.jpg

Hopefully, something will germinate!