Sign in to follow this  
petesredtraps

Maxsea fertilizer 16-16-16

Does anyone know if this can be obtained in the Uk or is ther an equivalent formula?

What is it?

What is it?

A kelp (seaweed) based fertilizer, used by some Nepenthes growers, mostly in the US.

Edited by mobile

Is it any good? I've just started to grow Nepenthes.

Hi All

Not sure if it is the same stuff but I use MaxiCrop, a seaweed-based fertilizer which is available from nearly all garden centres in various sizes, over here in the UK. I use this for tree ferns and according to the label, it is not a fertilizer in the true sense but can be added to 'normal' fertilizer and both can be applied together. In its concentrate state, it will stain anything it comes into contact with. Does bloody wonders for the ferns though.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by An D Smith

Hi All

Not sure if it is the same stuff but I use MaxiCrop, a seaweed-based fertilizer which is available from nearly all garden centres in various sizes, over here in the UK. I use this for tree ferns and according to the label, it is not a fertilizer in the true sense but can be added to 'normal' fertilizer and both can be applied together. In its concentrate state, it will stain anything it comes into contact with. Does bloody wonders for the ferns though.

Cheers

Andy

Original MaxiCrop seaweed extract is a plant growth stimulant. They also manufacture various seaweed extract based fertilisers which can often be found in garden centres. Their website is at: http://www.maxicrop.co.uk/

I have just received my Maxsea 16,16,16 from the USA on Amazon.

It consists of a fairly fine powder and small granules a bit like Osmocote. I have used a kitchen strainer to separate the granules and then used a Pestle and Mortar to reduce the granules to a powder and then mix the two powders together.

I am going to use it on my Venus Flytraps.

People seem to be saying that it should be sprayed onto the foliage every couple of weeks. I am tempted to dilute it to 1/10 strength and simply fill the trays with it.

Edited by Peabody

I use it as recommended by the experts,as a foliar spray using approx 1.5 grams per 500ml water.

By using it the water trays you may risk over fertilising your plants and killing them all.

Are you growing your Dionaea in a terrarium?

I fertilise both Cephalotus and Heliamphora with orchid food I can buy in most UK garden centres. I also use Camellia plant food for the same purpose.

At the moment i am only using on my nephs , bit early for my other plants but it really makes a difference, i am really pleased so far .

Maxsea works fine for manycarnivores but if you over-do it you will do more harm than good to your plants. I use 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water (sorry for you metric users). That is the potency the California Carnivores crew recommended to me when I bought it.

I hear Maxsea actually works quite well for Pings as well.

Edited by NepXGorgicus

I hear Maxsea actually works quite well for Pings as well.

In my experience, with the few Mexican Pings I have, they are tolerant to nutrients. Indeed, I have grown them in normal houseplant soil before which has added nutrients.

I've allways had trouble fertilising pings so now i don't bother.  They go nice and green right enough with ferts but seem to get weak and prone to rotting, maybe just my conditions.

I've ordered mine about one month ago nd these are the first results (non-treated plant on the left vx treated plant on the right) Peter has talked of Maxsea of a very special seaweed-based fertilizer amonsgt others11156124_460893334073441_378575186134136

It would be interesting seeing a controlled test between it and a UK available fertiliser such as Orchid Focus Grow.

Yep it'd woul be extremely useful... though I wonder if Peter hadn't tried it... or at eat seaweed-based proiducts similar to the ones available in Europe and UK in general... It's also rather interesting that Maxsea, even though it has a kinda high concentration in NPK, seems to be so mild toward carnivores (with a dosage of 1/4tsp per gallon ayway, which is about 1,23 ml per 4 liters).

I bought this in Irland but I think you can get it also in the UK.

I spray it over the Cephalotus.

31838767dj.jpg

31838771fl.jpg

• Like 1

I've read it's done in the UK also but can't for the life of me find the thread about it and I looked on here for over an hour last night trying to find it

• Like 1