Sign in to follow this  
mobile

Utricularia graminifolia pictures

Some time ago I bought a Utricularia graminifolia for my fish tank, but unfortunately algae got the better of it. I managed to salvage a very small piece and washed off as much algae as possible before transfering it to a undrained container, where I now grow it as a semi aquatic. Here are the results...

SS851198.JPG

SS851205.JPG

SS851218.JPG

SS851213.JPG

SS851221.JPG

Beautiful! Very neat, very lush :P

Edited by Stefano

Nice save! So it's treated essentially as an aquatic?

Nice save! So it's treated essentially as an aquatic?

Pretty much but it's not always fully submerged. There's approximately 1cm between the tip of the leaves and the top of the pot. I add water to the level of the top of the pot but then wait until the leaves are partially out of the water before topping up again.

Is there any media in there at all?

The media is peat and horticultural grit.

Edited by mobile

Very nice Carl - certainly looks like its enjoying those conditions :smile:

Heather

Guest Andreas Eils

Well...

...looks like I should increase my water level....

Andreas

...looks like I should increase my water level....

It seems to like being very wet. I initially grew it as a terrestrial and it didn't grow very fast and the leaf colour wasn't as vibrant.

Beautiful pics & plant - thanks for sharing. :lol:

What temperatures do you keep the plant in & how deep is the container? How bright are your lights?

Interestingly, even though the leaves stay underwater most of the time, the algae has not returned.... :lol:

Edited by RL7836

Hi Jim,

if you grow it as an aquatic, you do not need any special media at all. At the moment it grows very well in the sponge filter of my aquarium - pure plastic :wink: And - it even flowers UNDER water ( if the water is too deep).

gram.jpg

Regards

Martin

Edited by Martin Hingst

What temperatures do you keep the plant in & how deep is the container? How bright are your lights?

The plant is in a room where the temperature varies quite a bit throughout the year, there is no real temperature control as such. At the moment it's about 20°C but in winter is would get down to 10°C or maybe slightly less. The pot is 8cm deep so I guess the soil is about 6.5cm deep and the stolons have reached be bottom. It is about 50cm away from a window which doesn't receive direct sunlight and there is a 70W metal halide flood light about 1m above it. I'd say that the lighting intensity isn't particularly high as the metal halide floods an area of about 1m².

Interestingly, even though the leaves stay underwater most of the time, the algae has not returned.... :wink:

Initially when transferred the algae came back and formed a blanket on the surface of the leaves/water. I pulled it off occasionally but eventually it disappeared by itself. I guess that there are insufficient nutrients for the algae and I don't feed the plant. I read somewhere that algae need phosphates to flourish.

it even flowers UNDER water ( if the water is too deep).

Interesting to hear that it flowers underwater. A bit pointless as far as the plant is concerned I would have thought.

Edited by mobile