VFT flower panic

Guest Georgia

Guest Georgia

Ok, I've been ill for a while, and been in hospital. my mother was looking after my one and only VFT while i was in hospital with one simple instruction "keep it wet, and dont use tap water" i have an RO unit and always have lots of water ready for my fish.

I got out today and came home to find the VFT trying to flower, the stalk is about 4.5 inches high. am i past the point of no return, just let it flower and hope for the best, or should i nip the flower off? this is the second flower this year, first one i nipped off when the stalk was about an inch long.

the entire plant itself is about 6 inches across, with lots of traps on, I've had it since about August last year, was bought from B & Q.

also, the traps are now all green, whereas before they used to have a little red tinge to them, not exactly bright red but a little bit of red. that's a sign the plant isn't getting enough light, right?

sorry for the newbie questions, but i'm worried about the flower.

I have never lost a Dionaea plant to flowering but the stalk may be removed at any time. Your description of the trap color is usually ndicative of the "typical" form with its characteristic light pigmentation; but the plants can always use more light . . .

Hi Georgia,

You can also obtain more plants by cutting the flower stalk at its base and replanting it in the same upright position that it is growing. I like to plant mine, next to the mother plant to avoid confusion, in peat moss and keep it fairly moist. Once you have planted your flower stalk it should take 4 to 6 weeks and if you are lucky enough to get a strike, you should have a bunch of plantlets growing where it touches the soil.

Remember that the more light and warmth the cutting receives, the quicker it will develop.

I hope this helps,

Giovanni

Guest Georgia

thanks. i think i'll pull the stalk and see if i can get another plant. i'm a little less panicked now :)

more light, time to move along with my plans for a terrarium in my old aquarium, with LOTS of light :tu:

I've always been led to believe that it's the seed production that weakens the plant rather than the flowering itself. I snip them off only when I remember to, as above, it's no big deal when you do it.

Alex.

I have never lost a Dionaea plant to flowering but the stalk may be removed at any time. Your description of the trap color is usually ndicative of the "typical" form with its characteristic light pigmentation; but the plants can always use more light . . .

I have... but those were TC culture plants, grown inside. I have also had a real good "Lowes Cube of death" plant flower and suffer no ill effects.

Personally, I'd cut the flower off and try to get the plant strong enough to go outside... and dormancy for the winter.