Algal Myth?

Giles_KS

Cultivation guides to Utricularia invariable stress the fatal effect of filamentous algae (eg. blanketweed) on Utricularia. However, having seen 3 (maybe 4) species in the wild here in Ireland recently, I am having doubts about this. U. intermedia & minor were happy growing with all sorts of plants, and various algae, in the bog pools. Very healthy flowering plants of U. australis were growing under a layer of rather substantial blanketweed (in an area of 'open' water in a sort of fen, where lots more small, non-flowering plants were growing in v. shallow water beneath a dense sedge canopy).

What are other people's experiences of aquatic utrics & algae in the wild? How come they are quite happy with algae in the wild, but not in cultivation? Could it be to do with greater nutrient availability or higher light levels outside allowing coexistence?

Giles

hi

I am also quite interested in this subject. A lot of my aquarium work has been with algae filters, basicly using algaes to remove excess nutrients from the water... its called ecofiltration, algae scrubbers, etc

I was wondering why algae has to be discouraged from water trays as the algae growing there is actually using up a lot of nutrients that the plants could do without...