irish moss peat

Jonathan F.

You too Alexis - I seem to have had an increase in mould and green slime on the surface this year too - one bag was fine but the 2nd one isnt as good. The slime/mould isnt harming the plants and apart from that seems fine to me, just doesnt look very nice :woot:. I'm onto Arthur J Bowers next though so fingers crossed for less slime/mould with this one....

Heather

i have add Arthur J Bowers for the last 2 years but i got the the soil went hard after about 6 mouths. so seen this in a garden centre last weekend for a £5 for 100 liter bags as all the garden centre aroud me has stoped selling cps and cps conpost. :woot:

I cant find any peat in garden centres near me and have had to order it online so I'm down to getting whatever I can find and there's not a great deal of choice online!! Hope my batch of Arthur J doesnt go hard :woot:

I'm on Shamrock now. I've used it in the past no problem. but I remember Mike wasn't happy with a batch of his a while back.

I think it's the same with all the brands. Some batches will inevitably be from poorer parts of the bog.

• 2 months later...

Same thing happened to my VFTs after I repotted them all in Westland. I repotted them in Shamrock, and they have now recovered but are still a few weeks behind where I would expect them to be.

Westland seems to be a load of crap.

I've used a lot of Westland last year and it was ok apart from the mould slime issue above - if you think the peat is the issue then repot them, perhaps you've had a bad batch of it. If they are rotting then whatever the problem is you'll need to unpot, remove the rotten section (if it hasnt spread all the way through) and re-pot and better to keep these ones drier than normal (dont stand in water permanently - keep just damp). They are quite difficult to save once they start rotting though but you might get lucky....

Is it just these 2 that you have potted in the weatland peat?

Heather

Anyone having trouble with Sarracenias being too wet/showing signs of rot too ?

This thread has hit the nail on the head with the problem I'm having with some of my VFT and newly purchased, therefore newly repotted, sarras.....

...they are all potted in Westland peat.

I've been struggling with VFTs for years. I receive good plants and within a few weeks of potting they start to rot. I always put it down to my local conditions somehow effecting them. Earlier this year I started an experiment with growing a VFT in rockwool usind a DWC hydroponics setup and that plant is doing well. I have also purchased a VFT which I have potted in a different brand of peat to my usual and that is doing well to. Obviously, given the above I'm starting to suspect that it is the peat that I have been using that is causing the problem. I have done a side by side comparison between the old and new peat and I notice that the old appears to be quite a bit darker, wetter and denser. In addition, when flooded quite a lot of particles in the new peat float to the surface but far less with the old peat. My old peat is from a local bog, whereas the new is a well known national brand. I have a few plants growing in the old peat, including Cephalotus, Utricularia and Heliamphora and they seem to grow ok in it but VFTs don't seem to like it.

Edited by mobile

I use 1:1 peat to perlite for my VFTs and they seem ok (touch wood). I use Westland peat but with the 1:1 mix I've had no rotting issues and they even stand in water.

Mobile have you tried Pings in a hydro system yet? Just wondering if they would be any good.

Mobile have you tried Pings in a hydro system yet? Just wondering if they would be any good.

Not yet, but I have a garden centre ping growing very well in lawn moss. It has not flowered yet though so I can't identify what Ping it is.

Not yet, but I have a garden centre ping growing very well in lawn moss. It has not flowered yet though so I can't identify what Ping it is.

Lawn moss. That's interesting I've got losts of that!!! :-) I was wondering coz they only have shallow roots and like the air flow so seems like an idea.

...I was wondering coz they only have shallow roots and like the air flow so seems like an idea.

I suspect that quite a few Mexican Pings are actually grown in a form of hydroponics anyway as they are often cultivated in inorganic materials such as Seramis, vermiculite and perlite. Hydroculture, which is a subset of hydroponics (passive hydroponics), is basically growing a plant in inorganic materials with a water reservoir.

I have a Cephalotus growing in rockwool in effectively a passive hydroponic setup. It is only a very small plant but it is putting out new juvenile pitchers. I even use hydroponics nutrient solution on it... shock, horror :Laie_98:

Edited by mobile

I wonder if we've got to the root of your problems with vfts Carl, I'd avoid putting any in the old style peat and see how the recent one goes in the new stuff! Glad to hear that your latest one is doing well though, and the one in the rockwool too :Laie_98:

Heather