N. albomarginata in different habitats

Hello,

Here in Europe, N. albomarginata seems to be a quite popular species (not like N. hirsuta). Interesting and elegant, the famous "white collar" Nepenthes is a Bornean classic.

I've met this plant three times during my Sarawak trip: on Lundu's road, in Bako National Parc and on Gunung Santubong.

The different localities and habitats where this species grows are sometimes very different from each other. Even now, I still wonder what growing tips can be drawn from my different observations of this species in the wild. Indeed, N. albomarginata likes open soils but, as you will notice, I sometimes found it in very humid places where Sphagnum thrives...

I think that, you must first, try to know from which location your TC clone (or seed-grown plant ;) ) comes from. I still hope this field report will be useful to you growers ;D.

Let's begin with some pictures you already know:

p1020053.jpg

A Nepenthes albomarginata 's silhouette in the shadow of tall trees near Lundu's road. The tips of the vines benefit from the light but the biggest parts of the plants are developping under the branches...

p1020060o.jpg

p1020064j.jpg

This first encounter with this pretty Nepenthes would be followed by other unforgettable sights. But I didn't know it at the time.

I don't hink I will forget someday, these slender albomarginata that I've met in Bako National Park.

Bako National Park.

The place is famous for its great sandstone plateau.

p1030416.jpg

p1030417.jpg

Here, Nepenthes albomarginata is at home:

p1030418.jpg

p1030419.jpg

p1030420.jpg

Being a taxonomist wannabe, I, at once, examine the specimen. I check a pitcher and I'm delighted to find that's it's ful...l of termites!

p1030421.jpg

"So this is the famous termites feeding Nepenthes" , I whisper.

Go on.

The plateau hosts many pitcher-plants. The slender albomarginata is not the only carnivorous plant there, of course:

I last met N. albomarginata on Mount Santubong.

This must be one of my favourite days of my whole journey in Sarawak. That day, I also met N. tentaculata and N. veitchii...

The place is different. Moist, very humid and cool. I find some albos in the shade of some trees.

p1030719.jpg

p1030720.jpg

p1030721.jpg

On Gunung Santunbong's peak (about 800 meters), we lie on beds of Sphagnum...

p1030722.jpg

As I wander, dizzy, among all the mesemrizing tentaculata, I spot many albomarginata. They grow on various spots: on rocks, wook, forest litter...

p1030823.jpg

p1030723.jpg

Those babies want to play in the same league than N. campanulata: they grow directly on the rock!

albomarginata.

Everywhere!!

p1030813.jpg

p1030814.jpg

p1030815.jpg

• 3 months later...

Very nice pictures. I have been there to, both Baku national park and Gunung Santubong. Plenty N. albo marginata there. I also have seen N. albomarginata on Kubah Hill, near Kuching. And in 1999 I have seen Nepenthes albomarginata on Penang Hill in Western Malaysia. And also on Mount Ophir. Interessting is that N. albo marginata from Western Malaysia are much bigger then those from the 3 locations arround Kuching in Serawak.

In the hortus botanicus in Leiden they also have both the small Nepenthes albomarginata form of Bako National Park and the much bigger form of Penang Hill in Western Malaysia. In culture you see the same difference as in the wild. Maybe nice to know for those whom plant to see the plant in the wild.

Maybe they are evolving in differend species, wait a couple of million years longer and they will be split into 2 species.

Alexander

Hey François,

Great report as usual! Well done! I get just as excited about the N. raff's and the dark N. gracilis! Interesting observation of the differences between the the N. albo's in Penn. Malaysia and Borneo, Alexander! I suspected there might be some observable differences, other than just the color, as the all green forms are very rare in Penn Malaysia, and mostly seem to have the dark red forms. Keep up the great work! - Rich