Sign in to follow this  
Altair

Tuberous drosera question

Hi all!

I start growing Drosera subhirtella and zigzagia 3 years ago and last year I got an incredible amount of flowers from both plants (and also seeds from the crossing).

This year D. subhirtella didn't come back and zigzagia is smaller and without flowers. I digged out the subhirtella tubers and they are huge and healty without any sign of growth or illness.

Is this happened to somebody else? Does tuberous drosera take a one year long nap after a season of exceptional growth and flowering?

D.subhirtella_05.JPG

D.zigzagia_03.JPG

I had a macrantha ssp macrantha do this once. I thought I had lost the plants and dug up the potting mix to reuse and found a fat heathly tuber. Replanted and the plant is still with me. This happen a few years ago.

Hi Vale,

I experienced the season without growth mostly for plants which are somewhere in the adaption process from the southern to the northern hemisphere. Sometimes, the tubers also just produce a new tuber without any visible growth above the surface. This season, I had 3 forms doing this and I decided to store these tubers in ziplock bags to be able to check on them every once in a while.

Similarly to your D. zigzagia, a D. menziesii ssp. thysanosepala which has flowered for the past 2-3 seasons just reached about 5 cm in height this season, which is not much more than the one year old seedlings grown from seeds of this very plant.

Best regards

Dieter

thanks for the replies. so there is nothing to worry about :)