Clover irish moss peat

Guest Gratz

hi does anybody use this? my usual brand has now gone.it does say sphagnum moss peat in small print

I use Irish moss peat and have done for the last year. It has not had any detrimental effects on my Dionaea.

I think the fine grade is just passed through a screen, which would still be open enough to let through any seeds that may be in it. If the bogs around here are anything to go by, many used for extraction have been used for many years, plus they have been drained, so there will be little to no vegetation growing on them and the peat extracted from them will likely be from lower levels. I buy my peat from a local supplier, the bog is a few miles down the road from me, and it is quite a course grade, containing fibres and small pieces of bog wood, which I like as it adds natural drainage.

You can never really tell. Shamrock brought out a terrible batch a couple of years back; full of rubbish because it had been harvested too near the top of the bog.

If the peat specifically says it's from the higher part of the bog, as with this coarse grade, I'd hope the premium is a bit different.

Just thought I’d share this with you.

I used Clover for the first time this year. The plants seem to be doing well (Lots of new grow points) but I’m getting a lot of slime on the top of the pots (see pictures below)

DSCF3209s.jpg

DSCF3210s.jpg

Hope you can see the slime ok?

Carl

Just thought I’d share this with you.

I used Clover for the first time this year. The plants seem to be doing well (Lots of new grow points) but I’m getting a lot of slime on the top of the pots (see pictures below)

Hope you can see the slime ok?

Carl

I had this slime aswell. However, it didnt effect my VFTs in any way, even seedlings grew through it. It appears to be disapearing now we have had some good sun over the last couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

You best bet is to check the local garden centres to see what they stock, many of the bigger companies dont stock peat now for ethical reasons (or so they say, they still sell compost containing peat but just not pure peat). B&Q apparently sell a soil improver thats made from peat thats ok to use.......

Heather

B&Q apparently sell a soil improver thats made from peat thats ok to use.......

This appears to have changed in the latest batch that they have in my local B&Q. It now says peat and at least 20% other materials. I don't know what the 20% is and I'd be reluctant to use it without doing some tests.

Personally, I would try to find a local independant garden centre/nursey and see if they can source some sphagnum moss peat for you, if they don't already have. There are two in my area, both of whom stock it. As Heather said, the larger national chains don't stock it anymore.

Edited by mobile

If you are thinking of buying a large quantity of materials consider internet buying! ( 2000L of materials + )

I practicaly at least halved the price of what it would of costed in the garden centre, especialy on sand and perlite.

PM me if you would like to know about all the places where I asked for quotes