Drosera spathulata var. bakoensis in situ

Hello :yes: !

I'm pleased to make a field report on this new Drosera spatulata variety. I had the chance to see it a couple of weeks before Mr Andreas Fleischmann and Mr Ch'ien C. Lee published their description in the last issue of CPN. Drosera spatulata var. bakoensis was (and is still known) as "Drosera spec. 8 Borneo".

Bako national park. February 27th, 2009.

We're about to leave the sandstone plateau where Nepenthes and antplants thrive. Oh these beautiful Lecanopteris... !

(Who can spot Myrmecodia, Nepenthes gracilis and Nepenthes rafflesiana on this first photo?)

Yes, there's a storm in this small head of mine...

p1030413.jpg

We're leaving the plateau and its "kerangas" type vegetation (open place, low vegetation) and we're heading into the mixed "dipterocarp forest" which is quite similar to the european forests. We're following a long sandy and humid trail. Sun is fierce. Shoulders hurt.

p1030414.jpg

p1030415.jpg

It's the perfect place for Cicindelidae beetles ("Tiger beetles"). As a long time hobbyist entomologist, I can't help myself to catch one of these armoured and glittering jewels. I've got to admire them. I walk closer... slowly... Have to move my shadow... slow...ly...Gotcha!! And I just used my bare hand!!

p1030515.jpg

p1030516.jpg

Edited by Sockhom

After this small entertainment, we continue our walk. There is so much left to see. The sun breaks my shoulders. It's so hot. The road seems endless...

p1030517.jpg

p1030518.jpg

I know that we should probably meet a special population of Drosera spatulata here. A minute crimson plant known in culture as "Drosera spec. 8 Borneo" or "Drosera sp. Bako". I can't wait to find it. My interest for Drosera is recent but I love those plants, thus I'm relentlessly staring at the path, searching for small red spots...

p1030610.jpg

There! It's one of them!

p1030519.jpg

What a magnificent gem!

Then, I discover rubbons of glorious, sparkling sundews. The red colour is as beautiful as those exhibited by the south American relatives.

p1030613.jpg

p1030520.jpg

p1030521.jpg

p1030522.jpg

Edited by Sockhom

A beautiful moment.

I delight myself with a shot where I gather those shimmering rubies with a neighbouring Nepenthes gracilis. This reminds me of the Nepenthes bokorensis / Drosera peltata picture I took in july 2007, in Cambodia:

p1030523.jpg

p1030524.jpg

p1030611.jpg

p1030612.jpg

In the same place, I was also pleased to discover two species of Utricularia:

Utricularia caerula:

p1030525.jpg

p1030614.jpg

p1030615.jpg

And Utricularia subulata, that I had already seen on Mount Bokor:

p1030617.jpg

Thanks to fantastic Andreas Fleischmann for the Utric ID ;-))

Speak soon,

François.

Edited by Sockhom

Thanks for sharing! What stood out to me is how red rosetted sundews actually look in the wild... as opposed to many of window sill plants.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

It seems the pictures do not appear anymore. For those interested, I just posted a shorter version of this field report on my blog:

http://carnivorousockhom.blogspot.com/2011...is-in-situ.html

By the way, I was wondering if someone had success with this plant. My plants are barely 1 cm large and flowering but they are nowhere as pretty as the plants I saw in the wild but then again, I shouldn't grow them in highland conditons. ;-) I jut realized today that I have always grown them in highland conditions!! Such an idiot.

All the best,

François.

Hi François,

i´m also growing a few plant of this form and i must say that the plants are not nearly looking like the plants from your pictures in the field.

My biggest plant is about 1,3 cm in diameter and the colouration is not as red as in your pictures, they are flowering nearly all the time but till now i´ve not seen fully opened flowers.

If seed is produced it´s only a very small amount.

So, it´s not a real success but i have to admit that my night temperatures are relatively low at the moment, perhaps conditions like for Drosera from the petiolaris-complex with very high temperatures during the day would be better.

Best regards,

Dani

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the field pics!

I've had really good success with this species, growing them in temps from 70-80 degrees F.

They flower like crazy when fed often, and have produced pretty nice seed sets, so I've been trying to spread this around when I can.

They will be 1 year old in March, and these pics were taken in December:

seedling 5-9-2010

seedling_red_Drosera_spatulata_var_bakoensis_5-9-2010_post.JPG

my fave pic: 12-30-2010

bako_Drosera_spatulata_var_bakoensis_12_30_2010_post.JPG

larger: http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/spatula..._2010_large.JPG

original filesize: http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/spatula...0_2010_FULL.JPG

and a single medium plant

single_Drosera_spatulata_var_bakoensis_post.JPG

larger: http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/spatula...r_bakoensis.JPG