"Unshaved" Tipitiwitchets coming out of dormancy . . .

loligo1964

Spring has finally arrived in the US and one tray of Dionaea mucipula cv. B52 is finally showing some early progress in the last few weeks. In February, they were actually submerged for time with the rain in Northern California. It certainly bodes well for Summer and Fall when the traps reach their largest size. Currently, the largest are about 3.8 cm (1.5") and there is already the oh, so calming hum of struggling insect prey.

To all of those early horticulturalists who -- under the influence of heatstroke in the humid hell of the Carolinas -- fancied that the traps of Dionaea resembled female genitalia, all that I can say is that I honestly question the caliber of the company that you have been keeping . . .

"Tipitiwitchets" B52

B52.jpg

B52s.jpg

Edited by loligo1964

To all of those early horticulturalists who -- under the influence of heatstroke in the humid hell of the Carolinas -- fancied that the traps of Dionaea resembled female genitalia, all that I can say is that I honestly question the caliber of the company that you have been keeping . .

Wasn't it the teeth/trapping mechanism? Heard of the myth which makes blokes cross their legs?

There was a film based around it out a few months ago - I'll have to see if I can remember the name.

Your spring has arrived a bit sooner than mine! I can see some new growth on the VFTs but nothing like that.

To all of those early horticulturalists who -- under the influence of heatstroke in the humid hell of the Carolinas -- fancied that the traps of Dionaea resembled female genitalia, all that I can say is that I honestly question the caliber of the company that you have been keeping . .

Very funny. ... :whistling:

Yes, I too was a bit surprised, since the plants looked like hell last month, submerged for the most part after our rains. Others are also on the "fast track," including a Cephalotus, blooming six months ahead of time (the earliest flowering for me was always August / September) and a Darlingtonia with three flower stalks emerging after having skipped blooming altogether in 2008. I hope that this bodes well for the Summer.

As far as the "tipitiwitchets" are concerned, I have always thought that that original opinion was an absolute riot; and please pardon the foul thread title. You can attribute it to my crude sense of humor, to too much coffee, too late an hour, and too much time with Turbo Tax . . .

• 3 weeks later...
Wasn't it the teeth/trapping mechanism? Heard of the myth which makes blokes cross their legs?

There was a film based around it out a few months ago - I'll have to see if I can remember the name.

The film I suspect you are thinking of was called 'Teeth'. Although I didn't know it was based on a myth...

Your spring has arrived a bit sooner than mine! I can see some new growth on the VFTs but nothing like that.

Very funny. ... :tu:

Yeah. Spring seemed to have arrived earlier, at least for that batch of Dionaea. I have others who are lagging but Summer is, thankfully, still ahead . ..

Edited by loligo1964