Something-'New' In The-World of MENZIESII?

Hello,

Nice! An anthocynanine-free individual of Utricularia menziesii! The anthocyans are missing (thus no red colouration, neither of corolla nor scape). What's left from the flower colour is the yellow pigments, i.e. flavonoids.

That's something I noticed earlier already: red colours in Utricularia flowers (U. menziesii, U. campbelliana, U. quelchii, U. simmonsii) are not pure red, but a colour mix of red and orange-yellow phytopigments.

If the yellow pigments are missing, but anthocyans are present, the flowers are pink (like in U. multifida for example. Note: U. multifida and related species do NOT have flavonoids in their flowers (except in the cells of the blotch on the palate. That's why anthoyanine-free mutants in these plants have white flowers, not yellow ones!).

That's the simple Lentibulariaceae flower chemistry:

anthocyans + flavonoids (rare) = red colour

only anthocyans = pink, lilac or blueish colour, depending on the pH-value of the cells

only flavonoids = yellow colour (common)

none of them = white colour

It seems that there are no further compound compound colurs in Lentibulariaceae.

I found this out with a very easy test of phenolic extraction in the lab ;).

And the best thing: this flower-colour-chemistry supports the phylogeny, yeeppee! ;)

All the best,

Andreas

Well, In-Return for-Your very-Informative Heads-up Post I-Thought I'd Mention that-as R-Teenager Conducting Basic Chromatography I-Discovered that Soursobs [Oxalis-pre-caprae] Have Too-Basic Yellows ... One that Fluroesces and One that Does-'Not' and That The Pigment from The WHITE-Daisy Fluoresces with a TRUE 'White'-Fluorescence 'Not' The Usual 'Blue'-White of Optial-Brighteners Found in Most Washing-Powders!!! >(*U^)<

By-The Way They Sell 'Pink'-OMO ['Pink'-Optical-Whiteners] to Africans Because They Percieve a 'Pink'-White as-Being "Brighter" than-R True White or Blue-White!!! >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<