Watering when you're away

DaveC

I've got a bit of a problem that I'm hoping someone may be able to help with.

I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks at the beginning of March and I don't have anyone (that I can wholly trust) to keep my Neps watered.

I have a few neps ranging from big mature plants to really small seedlings all of which live (quite happily) on window sills around the house. I've not been on holday for a while and so have never encountered this before and am qutie concerned. :rolleyes:

I'm really interested in your ideas/solutions.

thanks,

Dave

Put them in a tray of shallow water. The roots wont rot in the two weeks you are away.

Or alternatively try and put clear plastic bags around the pots so the water doesn't evaporate out of the compost.

Edited by manders

Manders gives excellent advice. I've never done the tray thing before, but I do give them a good watering and put bags over them. Since I have mostly terrariums, they don't dry up as quickly, so they don't need water as much.

Of course drosera and utrics and pings are easier bacause all they need is a plastic bag/wrap over them.

I hope you have a nice trip.

• 3 months later...

When I have been on holiday, I have used this bottle method I found somewhere.

Drill a hole near the bottom of an empty limonade bottle, that is plastic of course. Get the hole to the side of the bottle, but as low as you can, or you can drill the hole to the height you want the water level to be. Then fill the bottle with water from the top, keeping your finger on the hole so it doesn't let any water to escape. When the bottle is full, put the cap back and seal it tight. Then insert the bottle on a large water tray, so that the hole is underwater. Then you can take your finger off the hole. Wola! The bottle will release water whenever the surface of the watering tray goes under the hole in the bottle.

I hope you get my explanation. :D

When I have been on holiday, I have used this bottle method I found somewhere.

You mean this post?

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...ost&p=88140

I have improved the technique since that post. I now make the hole bigger and simply fill the bottle through the hole, leaving the top on always.

Cheers,