Anyone grow H. tatei var. neblinae x hispida?

flycatchers

And how has it grown?

I got mine some years back as a tiny plant. And although it started off ok and even sent up several young adult pitchers some months after getting it has never done much since! Those adult pitchers were replaced by much smaller juvenile ones and growth has been very slow. I did take several divisions which took but again have not done much since- one died recently. Have tried in a number of places with these plants giving more and less light/ heat etc but can't find that missing ingredient it needs! Any suggestions?

cheers

bill

Hi Bill,

I've had one nearly 2 years, but it's still only juvernile. It's getting bigger and has lovely deep red pitchers. I'm hoping it may send up some adults this year, but only time will tell.

Have you tried fertilising yours ? This does really seem to help, as some recent posts have shown.

Have you tried fertilising yours ? This does really seem to help, as some recent posts have shown.

Hi Phil,

I must admit I have never tried fertilising any of my Heli. What do you use? A few of my smaller Heli could certainly do with a boost!

Are all yours indoors at the moment?

cheers

bill

Hi Bill,

Yep, mine are all in doors at the moment, although some have only been out of the unheated green house for a couple of weeks.

I haven't been feeding mine as often as I had planned, but when I do, it's either flys/ants or a dilute solution of Baby Bio.

Did you read this post, the guy certainly seems to have had good results on his H. minor.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...mp;#entry235575

And how has it grown?

I got mine some years back as a tiny plant. And although it started off ok and even sent up several young adult pitchers some months after getting it has never done much since! Those adult pitchers were replaced by much smaller juvenile ones and growth has been very slow. I did take several divisions which took but again have not done much since- one died recently. Have tried in a number of places with these plants giving more and less light/ heat etc but can't find that missing ingredient it needs! Any suggestions?

cheers

bill

I have grown this plant and it has proved to be on the slower side for a hybrid -- but not any more difficult than, say, Heliamphora hispida, or other species which require lower temperatures to succeed. It has also sent up adult leaves, then only juveniles from time to time. Go figure.

In terms of suggestions, providing cooler temperature does seem the most relevant . . .

Edited by loligo1964

• 3 weeks later...

Alas my mother plant is now no more :sun_bespectacled: It did its best when I first got and them struggled getting smaller after that. Still got two divisions but they show no sign of getting beyond their tiny juvenile growth. My wistuba hispida has also been a none starter- though my hispida from Gert has done well.

bill

I find that my Helis respond very well to dilute 50% strength of fish emulsion fertilizer once or twice a month, (mixed with either RO, or distilled water) with a healthy rinsing in between feedings with distilled water or RO, the same is true for Nepenthes, and Sarr's and this same mixture works wonders when sprayed over the Ping's leaves during their active growing season, and will cause them to flower profusely! - Rich

Edited by rsivertsen

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My H. tatei var. neblinae x hispida is finally producing its first adult pitchers with the arrival of Fall and the colder nights. It's about time, since it has produced dozens of juvenile leaves over the last two years.

I finally attempted something Andreas Wistuba suggested -- trimming away a few juvenile leaves in the hope that the Heliamphora would be "kick-started" into producing its ascidiform -- adult -- leaves; whether that process was a success or it was simply the plant's increase in age is anyone's guess. I'll post a few shots when my worthless batteries are recharged . . .

Edited by loligo1964