Sign in to follow this  
insectivorous

Winter in the UK

Hi

I have grown Insectivorous plants in many different place like greenhouse, cold frames, window seal, large patio containers, heated and unheated fish tanks and also in my bog gardens too.

I have found that in the UK you can grow many types of plants outside that you may not think that would make our winters.

you can read some detail of plants in winter at www.insectivorousplants.co.uk/growing1winter.html

Hi

I have grown Insectivorous plants in many different place like greenhouse, cold frames, window seal, large patio containers, heated and unheated fish tanks and also in my bog gardens too.

I have found that in the UK you can grow many types of plants outside that you may not think that would make our winters.

you can read some detail of plants in winter at www.insectivorousplants.co.uk/growing1winter.html

Nice page. Do you think that I'd be able to attempt growing them in "bogs" like you if temps here get down to -15F in the winter?

Thanks,

Aaron

Nice page. Do you think that I'd be able to attempt growing them in "bogs" like you if temps here get down to -15F in the winter?

Thanks,

Aaron

I have grown plants that have taken -17C here in the south of ESSEX and still there were OK.

I have updated the page so there are some photo's of the snow we had here on Monday 2nd Feb 2009 and link to another page a few more.

You will see that a Darlintonia is covered in snow and below the plant has it's flower buds ready for this year and today 4th I have looked as the snow melts that there is no damage to them.

I found over the years that if Ice does not damage the growing tips and the soil has not gone to an Ice cube, so the roots are damaged the plants can grow well.

What I have found is that some plants are better then reported in taking cold weather over the years. But if you wish to try a plant, do not try a plant that you have only one off as it may die and also older plants that are fully grown to flower size have a better luck. and look on the pages of my site for more details.

Good luck

I have grown plants that have taken -17C here in the south of ESSEX and still there were OK.

I wasnt aware that Essex has had temps as low as -17C in recent years.