my highland terrarium

Hi,

here are some pictures of my highland terrarium.

I hope you like them... ;)

gallery_3714_93_147789.jpg

Drosera roraime

gallery_3714_93_182266.jpg

Heliamphora folliculata

gallery_3714_93_2789.jpg

Heliamphora ionasii

gallery_3714_93_175512.jpg

Heliamphora ionasii

gallery_3714_93_32002.jpg

Nepenthes aristolochioides

gallery_3714_93_130480.jpg

Nepenthes flava

gallery_3714_93_81571.jpg

Nepenthes glabrata pitcher

gallery_3714_93_155790.jpg

Nepenthes glabrata

gallery_3714_93_36994.jpg

Nepenthes inermis

gallery_3714_93_5083.jpg

Nepenthes macrophylla

gallery_3714_93_78581.jpg

Nepenthes villosa

gallery_3714_93_30873.jpg

Utricularia campbelliana

gallery_3714_93_141213.jpg

Utricularia campbelliana on xaxim

gallery_3714_93_145142.jpg

Brocchinia reducta

gallery_3714_93_179703.jpg

Regards

Marc

Hi Marc,

your terrarium is great, I liked heliamphora, drosera end bromeliads but don't use 'xaxim' ...

... this a bad thing for the forests (don't exist 'xaxim' reforestation :dry: , is not a 'green substratum').

Coco fiber is a good substitute :tu:

Good growing

Hi,

thanks for all the nice comments!!

@Carlos: You are right, xaxim isn't a good substratum! But aren't there controled cultivations just to produce xaxim walls (or other forms) to protect wild populations (meaning the forests)?

The owner of the aquarium shop, where I bought this small wall, told me something like this, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it! :dry:

Switzerland is pretty strickt in things like that! (so it really shoudn't be collected in the wild..)

But it's good the remind people of what they have or buy for their terrariums, because many of them don't care where the things (including plants) come from or how they were produced, grown or what ever!

Coco fiber is good substitute, I agree! But I'm scared to use it for my U. campbelliana... :tu:

Kind Regards

Marc

Hi Marcel,

I use the technique of a fridge to cool my terrarium, which is 80x50x50 cm in size; for the air circulation I use a pc-fana and a fooger (?) for the humidity.

winter: day 18-22°C/ night 6-14°C; summer: 20-26°C day/ 7-18°C night

Regards

Marc

Hi,

I use 6x 24W T5 tubes 840/865 in a ratio 1:1. During winter they get 12h of light plus a bit of sunlight (from the east) and during summer between 13-14h (and no sunlight).

Wow...that really seems enough! :-)

You have a really nice setup...and awesome looking plants!

In particular N.aristolochioides....

Hi,

thanks again for the compliments!

@fairlady: The mister (Eheim Spray) I use to keep the xaxim wall wet (where the U. campbelliana is)! Otherwise it runs dry too fast...

It just mists for 1-2 sec. (in winter 2 times, in summer 3 times a day). The plants in pots I just water, when I mist the nearly dried sphagnum on the back wall.

@mrAlmond: The light also seems to be enough for my tuberous Drosera.... :sun_bespectacled:

Regards

Marc

@Carlos: You are right, xaxim isn't a good substratum! But aren't there controled cultivations just to produce xaxim walls (or other forms) to protect wild populations (meaning the forests)?

The owner of the aquarium shop, where I bought this small wall, told me something like this, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it! :wink:

Switzerland is pretty strickt in things like that! (so it really shoudn't be collected in the wild..)

But it's good the remind people of what they have or buy for their terrariums, because many of them don't care where the things (including plants) come from or how they were produced, grown or what ever!

Coco fiber is good substitute, I agree! But I'm scared to use it for my U. campbelliana... :rolleyes:

Hi Marc, is a good notice! :thumbsup:

In Brazil I saw one sender with 'gren xaxim', 99% in the (dark) market is illegal. :happy:

nepenthes growers in Brasil use coco pots, related good results, I tested with sarracenia, good too but I prefer sphagnum moss.

My best regards.

Carlos.

Guest Matthew

Marc, your plants and set up are fantastic. All of the nepenthes that you have are my favorites!! I cant believe you have all those -- macrophylla, villosa, inermis. I am having so much trouble growing the cooler species. My n. aristolochioides is slowly dying and i think its because my temps are too high -- i cant get it below 70 F at night... I just got a glabrata and now im really worried. My question to you is... how do you use a refridgerator system to cool your terrarium? I have been searching forever on this subject. I live in New York City in a small apt and it gets really hot in the summer! Plus i have 3 25W t5 lights and they get REALLY HOT - i wasnt expecting that... I have no cool basement or anything. Can you give me any advice on how to cool down my terrarium?

Very impressive setup, Marc ~

However, I am thinking whether your nepenthes should have received a bit excessive light which makes them a bit red and dwarf than normal.

Sincerely, Avery