Dionea Flower

andu39

They usually self pollinate pretty well without any intervention, but if you want to be sure that it gets pollinated, wait until the stigma is receptive. When it is receptive, it will look fuzzy like in the photo below:

phoca_thumb_l_VFT_LowGiant_Ziemer.JPG

Once it is receptive, use a toothpick or cotton swab to touch some of the pollen from the anthers (the little yellow balls around the stigma) to the top of the stigma. That's it.

I need to get seeds,because i skip the dormancy for this plant and i dont think will survive .

Skipping a dormancy doesn't mean the plant will die unless you do it for a few dormancies, in which case the plant gets weakened. Allowing it to flower however will have weakened the plant and it my have difficulty recovering the energy used for flowering in the winter months.

Andu

As mentioned above - skipping dormancy will not kill your plant but after a few years I would imagine it will weaken it. I hope you find a solution to your dormancy problems next year.

If you are worried about your plant then remember that flowering and collecting seeds will take up a lot of energy for your plant! The growth rate will slow considerably because of this.

I dont recall how long it takes for the stigma to become receptive but its not long - just keep an eye on the flower.

Heather

Andu

As mentioned above - skipping dormancy will not kill your plant but after a few years I would imagine it will weaken it. I hope you find a solution to your dormancy problems next year.

If you are worried about your plant then remember that flowering and collecting seeds will take up a lot of energy for your plant! The growth rate will slow considerably because of this.

I dont recall how long it takes for the stigma to become receptive but its not long - just keep an eye on the flower.

Heather

Today the stigma become receptive,this D.muscipula i buy it for 20 cent for a super market and was the last plant and all the traps were black i fell mercy for the plant so i take it home and after a period of time the the plant formed new traps and flower so if i will get some seeds i will be very happy and i my first time to see a dionea muscipula flower :)