EEE 2009 Ghent, Belgium

Dear CPUK members,

In name of Drosera vzw, the Belgian CP society, I'm very proud to present you our EEE 2009 poster!

The European Exhibition and Exchange will take place over two days and will be held over the weekend 5th and 6th September 2009 in Ghent.

In the next few months we will publish a website with all the information you have to know about this wonderful event!

PosterEEEEngels.jpg

It's a great opportunity to meet all the top experts and to see them in real life, of course this event is also a perfect chance to extend your CP collection! :wink:

Hope to see you all there!!!

Regards,

Vincent

Edited by Vincent Limbourg

• 2 weeks later...

I put this on the ICPS website as well. I have just booked the ferry with Norfolkline from Dover to Dunkerque return. This is ferry is convenient because it drops you only about 15 miles from the Belgium border. Total cost of the return ticket was only £50 because I have booked nice and early.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a bit of a search for the University using my Sat Nav and www.multimap.com and I couldn't locate K.L. Ledeganckstraat 35, having never been to this place before. However, after a bit of Googling, I found out that the K.L. bit stands for Karel Lodewijk who is no doubt someone famous in Belgium history, but me being a foreigner, don't know who they are. Anyway, if you want to do search with your Sat Nav or a site like Multimap, you need to put in Karel Lodewijk Ledeganckstraat. It is a road near to the junction of the R40 and the N60, south of the centre of Gent.

I have just booked the hotel at the Express By Holiday Inn which is about a mile away from the University, just SE of it. I booked using Expedia but I am sure that there are other websites that you can use. There are a number of hotels in the area but this one has good public transport from just outside it. A taxi wouldn't be a disaster either.

Looking forward to it all.

David.

Edited by David Ahrens

• 1 month later...

Dear CP friends,

Here we are with some new updates! Our webmaster created a web page with all the necessary information you need.

You can find this at EEE 2009 Ghent. Just click on the poster and continue in English (French or Dutch).

Later this year we will update this web page with a more detailed programme, information about lectures etc.

If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to ask them.

You may send them to our president Dieter: dieter_blancquaert (at) hotmail.com or right here in this topic.

Regards,

Vincent

Edited by Vincent Limbourg

• 1 month later...
Dear CPUK members,

In name of Drosera vzw, the Belgian CP society, I'm very proud to present you our EEE 2009 poster!

The European Exhibition and Exchange will take place over two days and will be held over the weekend 5th and 6th September 2009 in Ghent.

In the next few months we will publish a website with all the information you have to know about this wonderful event!

PosterEEEEngels.jpg

It's a great opportunity to meet all the top experts and to see them in real life, of course this event is also a perfect chance to extend your CP collection! :whistling:

Hope to see you all there!!!

Regards,

Vincent

Hi Vincent

Glad to see this post. If you send me a high quality image I'll place your poster in the UK's CPS News to advertise Ghent. If you'd like to do that please send the image to: [email protected]

I'm coming to Belgium and if you want a speaker I'd be glad to give a talk on the history of the VFT (1759-1800) - it's 250 years this year since the plant first came to the notice of the world in a letter written by Arthur Dobbs. The history is set out in my book Miraculum Naturae, Venus's Flytrap (www.thevenusflytrapbook.com).

Cheers

Tim

Newsletter Editor CPS News

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be there!

It'll take me about 15 minutes to walk from my place to the botanical garden.

I have a spare room for people who're satisfied sleeping on a mattress on the ground and a sleeping bag [1 or 2 matresses and sleepingbags available but in the same room] for saturday night.

You can compensate me for the stay with one of the following VFTs, I'll ask no money and you'll get a free bowl of cereal and some orange juice in the morning if you like :smile:

The first person offering a Fused Tooth gets the spot. If no one offers a Fused Tooth, the first person to offer a Red or normal Sawtooth gets to stay, and so onwards down the list...

1) Fused Tooth

2) (Red) Sawtooth

3) Justina Davis [or other anthocyan-free clone]

4) Cup Trap or Funnel Trap

5) B52

I think this would be a great deal since hotel or motel rooms tend to cost more than a VFT, and I can expand my collection for free so if you'd like to stay over, just PM me and let me know what you have to offer.

Edited by NZL

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Tim Bailey and I will be travelling from Telford. Anyone want a lift (West Midlands, M40, South London or alternatively A14, Cambridge, M11) with a view to share costs?

The same procedure as every year :sun_bespectacled:

sounds good!

However, using that citation may not be understood by everyone in this forum as Dinner for One is not as famous in e.g. the UK as it is in Germany. Earlier this year I had a funny discussion about this one at a conference dinner about this with a handful of Englishman not really knowing what we were laughing about until one of their fellow countrymen now living in Sweden told them the whole story...

But then: I will do my very best

...and make sure I will be there as well.

See you there!

Dieter

Edited by Dieter

My brother lives in Hamburg and it was not until a few years ago that I understood what 'Dinner for one' was. The Germans always watch it on the TV before they eat their Christmas dinner, it's an institution in Germany. It will probably be on 6 or 10 German TV channels that night, with more than one version shown. If you Google 'Dinner for One', you will be able to download it onto your computer. You need to watch the really old version, it's something like 1920 or so.

I think that, originally, it was an English sketch.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

Is there anything planed for saturday evening, like dinner or something we need to book before?

Jens

Hi Jens,

Our society will organise a dinner in Chess Café in Gent (http://www.chesscafe.be/gent/index.html) on Saturday evening.

As soon as our webmaster is back from holidays, he will publish everything online!

Kind Regards,

Vincent

• 1 month later...

Dinner is served !

On Saturday night September 5, 2009 you will be able to meet and get acquainted with your favorite member of the carnivorous plants community during our meal at the Chesscafé in Ghent from 7 until 11PM.

If you want to be part of it, please send a message and state your first and last name and number of participants, before August 15, 2009.

More info : http://droseravzw.org/

Don't miss it!! :sun_bespectacled:

Iggy

Dinner is served !

On Saturday night September 5, 2009 you will be able to meet and get acquainted with your favorite member of the carnivorous plants community during our meal at the Chesscafé in Ghent from 7 until 11PM.

If you want to be part of it, please send a message and state your first and last name and number of participants, before August 15, 2009.

More info : http://droseravzw.org/

Don't miss it!! :sun_bespectacled:

Iggy

Hello iggy keith shoesmith and david ahhrens would would like to book for the saturday meal.

Iggy, you have given the link to your society website a couple of times but I can't read it because it is in Dutch. Is there an English part of the website ?

Hi David,

If you press the picture that you see on the website, you'll see some more info about the EEE in Dutch, French and English.

Afterwards you just have to click on the green EEE poster. :sun_bespectacled:

Cheers,