Sign in to follow this  
andu39

Dionaea Flower

How long should i wait till i cut the flower stalk off ?I have a dionaea which died becouse the stalk was to big :) And now i have 3 which are forming little flower stalks .If i let the flower stalk and let the plant to flower is 100% that will die ?

It is not 100% certain that the plant will die. I let nearly all of my plants flower this year and none of them died. Whether or not your plant will die if it flowers is highly dependent on how healthy your plant is.

If you're worried about it, just snip off the flower stalk as soon as it is high enough to safely cut it off without harming the plant.

I'd say snip it off when it's about 2-3cm and stick it into the soil. Next year new little traps will grow up from around the 'planted' stem.

Its a myth that flowering will kill flytraps - if your plant is happy and healthly then flowering wont be a problem, it will just slow growth down for a while. If your other plant died after flowering then it wasnt very healthy.

Its not really the best time for flowering and collecting seed, it takes a lot of energy and your plant should be going dormant! Just cut it off when its high enough if you're worried.

Heather

Its a myth that flowering will kill flytraps - if your plant is happy and healthly then flowering wont be a problem, it will just slow growth down for a while. If your other plant died after flowering then it wasnt very healthy.

Its not really the best time for flowering and collecting seed, it takes a lot of energy and your plant should be going dormant! Just cut it off when its high enough if you're worried.

Heather

This year i will skip the dormancy because the plant doesn't want to go i put i in 8 C grades and the plant sis forming new traps and flowering :wink:::D:D i will skip this year ,the dormancy for this plant.Amar's idea is the best i will cut the flower stalk and plant it into the ground.I need to cut ii near the soil or anywhere ?

Just cut it as far down as you can, doesn't matter if you don't get it all. I would reconsider about not giving the plant a dormancy, if you put it outside it will go to sleep for sure.

It would have to be in lower temps for a while before it started to go into dormancy but rest assumed it would do this if given some time - shorter day lengths and cooler temperatures are its cue to go into dormancy.

Just cut it as far down as you can, doesn't matter if you don't get it all. I would reconsider about not giving the plant a dormancy, if you put it outside it will go to sleep for sure.

Cant put the plant outside nights are very cold -10---- 0 thats super cold and almost no light

Edited by andu39

Cant put the plant outside nights are very cold -10---- 0 thats super cold and almost no light

Well I hope you manage to find somewhere suitable next year, it shouldnt hurt to skip dormancy for one year but I certainly wouldnt recommend skipping dormancy every year.

Well I hope you manage to find somewhere suitable next year, it shouldnt hurt to skip dormancy for one year but I certainly wouldnt recommend skipping dormancy every year.

I promise is the last skipping :wink:^^