Sign in to follow this  
nadja77

green leaves - not enough light?

Hi,

I was wondering how long it takes before plants show signs of insufficent lighting?

I am asking this question because my N.Specatabilis is happlily shooting out new leaves (no pitchers yet)

but the new leaves are not turning red like the older growth.

I am still at the experimental stage with Nephs and I don't want them to die because I could not get the conditions right.:yes:

I have 100w plant light over my Nephs. (sorry forgot the details, have to check the box again)

They also get 1 hour of direct sunlight a day.

Thanks

Nadja

Neps are essentially equatorial plants and therefore experience ~11-13 hours of sunlight per day. Less than that they will stop pitchering.

Nepenthes tend to go from looking fine to stem rot if they have insufficient light. Your bulb should do the trick but may burn the leaves.. If it is a decision between leaf burn and death then you are doing ok... N.Spectabilis is quick to rot in my experience ... good luck.

Hi Jimscott,

The light is on 16 hours a day but is suspended about 600cm above the plants - because of the heat.

The N.tobaica I have is producing nice pitchers under the same light.

By the way what sort of light do you use for your Droseras?

Nepenthes tend to go from looking fine to stem rot if they have insufficient light. Your bulb should do the trick but may burn the leaves.. If it is a decision between leaf burn and death then you are doing ok... N.Spectabilis is quick to rot in my experience ... good luck.

Thanks Stephen,

I had just read somewhere that the leaves of the N.Spectabilis turn reddish under correct lighting conditions.

I would love to see some photos of your N.Spectabilis, have posted some on this forum?

most probably my plants are ok and I am just beeing paranoid :yes: