P. lutea in flower

Hi all,

first the history, one and a half year ago i sowed a small number of seed (about 25) of P. lutea ´US Hwy 19N, Hudson, Pasco Co., Florida, USA´, the plants have germinated relatively fast (about 3-4 weeks) on dead sphagnum and have grown without any problems and all in all i have had 12 adult plants, all germinated seedlings have survived. :yes:

A few months ago i gave 4 plants away because of space problems, but i still have 8.

To come to the point, one plant is looking very different in my eyes, the other 10 plants have been looking very similar, with much wider leafes and one "intermediate". All plants are about 14cm (5,5 inch) in diameter but they have not flowered yet, till now. :wink:

It seems so that there is some kind of variation, the growth form was slightely different from the beginning of their growth.

Sorry for the qualitiy of this picture, but i only wanted to show the difference between the rosettes. I hope that the flowers will also be slightely different.

P1050824a.jpg

And now the flowers (it´s one of the plants with the wider leafes), normally they are flowering later in the year.

emerging flower

P1050914a.jpg

The fully opened flower

P1060067a.jpg

P1060071a.jpg

P1060084a.jpg

P1060081a.jpg

P1060083a.jpg

P1060074a.jpg

the sepals

P1060076a.jpg

P1060107a.jpg

And for comparison here are flowers from 2 other plants without location data from last winter (their rosettes are much smaller :wink: ).

The first one has had a bigger flower, the colour was also slightely different.

P1030283lutea2.jpg

Here are a few more pictures from it: North American Pinguicula in flower

The second one was perhaps a little bit smaller and more fuzzy :P (sorry for the picture quality, but i had to take this picture last winter with my very old camera, because my new one was damaged)

SV400224lutea3.jpg

And here another interesting point, I have never seen something like this before that there are "drops/glands" under the leafes, they are directely in the middle of the leafes, in fact under the middle vein. :wink:

After i saw this i checked all plants and only 2 of the plants have the "drops/glands" on all of the leafes. My 2 other clones don´t have them.

P1050921a.jpg

a little bit closer

P1050921aa.jpg

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

Many thanks Marek and Marcel. :wink:

Marcel, i don´t have given them a special treatment.

I have sown all of them on dead spaghnum in one round 5,5cm pot, watering by the tray method (about 0,5-1cm). The pot was standing in one of these green mini-terrariums under articial lights.

After 3-4 weeks they have germinated and than i have devided them very carefully. :wink:

At the same time i have also sown seed from P. planifolia, ionantha and caerulea, but nothing has germinated, so i think the seed was not fresh enough. :wink:

After my experiances USA-Pinguicula seed is not viable for a long time, so if your seed has not germinated till now....

But i have also heard from P. planifolia seed that has germinated after half a year, so if your seed was fresh it can still germinate.

Is in your pot growing some kind of moss?

That was the reason why i have choosen dead spaghnum as substrate. :P

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

Many thanks :yes: ,

Marcel, normally your substrate is the right one, in nature they are not growing in dead/living spaghnum, but some years ago i recognised after bad experiances that moss is the biggest enemy for germinating seed, not only for Pinguicula, for other species like Drosera and Genlisea as well. :P

It should be possible to pick small seedlings and plant them into peat/sand, perhaps it´s even better, but i think that´s better to sow them on dead spaghnum.

Heather, my camera is nothing special, it´s a Panasonic DMC-FX07.

I´m taking a lot of pictures and than i have to choose the sharpest. :smile:

Aymeric, no, i´ve not noticed those glands on other north american species till now, only 2 plants have these glands and in this case all of the leafes have them, the others from the same seed not. 3 of my other clones of P. lutea are also not having these glands.

I´ve also checked my other species like P. caerulea, planifolia, primuliflora, primuliflora ´Rose´ and ionantha, but they don´t have them too. :wink:

But i must say that i have noticed them in the pictures after i´ve checked them, not before.

Vincent, you are absolutely right, i also like this species for this really nice yellow colour, the only Pinguicula with such a colour.

Of course i would like to see pictures of your plant, i hope it´s growing good for you and the 2 P. primuliflora ´Rose´ too. :yes:

Best regards,

Dani

Here's mine, one of Dani's seedlings by the way! :wink:

CopyofIMG_4512.jpg

CopyofIMG_4526.jpg

CopyofIMG_4514.jpg

CopyofIMG_4510.jpg

My apoligies for the bad quality of the pictures, it's time to get a new camera! :smile:

Dani, your plants are doing great. Also the Drosera's seems to like their new habitat!

The Pings are recovering well, and they started with their new growth! P. primulifora 'Rose' already started to produce some little plants.

Are you going to pollinate some flowers of USA-Pinguicula?

PS: If you have some new plants available, let me know something! :P

Greets,

Vincent

Many thanks to all of you,

Vincent, your plant looks good as well and perhaps it will flower soon too. :P

Also good to hear that the others are growing good as well.

I have tried to pollinate it (no cross pollination because only this one is flowering in the moment) and i hope i was successful, the flower has fallen down yesterday and it seems so as if the capsule is beginning to swell, but later this year i hope that i will manage to cross pollinate some of them. :smile:

But of course i will also try to pollinate my other U.S. species like P. ionantha, planifolia, primuliflora and caerulea.

Of course i will let you know when i´ll have some new plants available. :wink:

Jim, in my opinion P. primuliflora is the easiest from the U.S. Pinguicula and it is the only species that is propagating itself through the "production" of little plants and the end of their leafes and watering by the tray method all the year.

In my opinion P. ionantha is also relatively easy to grow, i´m growing it by the tray method all the year. :yes:

The others are a little bit more difficult because of the watering, in winter the substrate should not be to wet, except P. planifolia.

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

Dani, you should be succesfull with your pollination.I have one for the past 4 or 5 years and have germinated its seed easily(a few weeks) on peat/sand mix.Mine have also divided naturally,which i cut up with a sharpe knife,because the roots are very long and thick on this species.

Ada

Hi Ada,

you should be succesfull with your pollination
i hope you are right. :sarcastic_hand:

Last year i tried to self pollinate another clone and it has not worked.

But i also hope to cross pollinate some flowers later in the year, this should work in every case.

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

• 1 month later...

Vincent, really great news. :yes:

There is some kind of variation in the form of the rosette and the flower, my second plant has had a much bigger flower, about 3,5 cm in diameter.

Of course i´m looking forward to see your flower. :wink:

Carlos, yes, in comparison to P. ionantha and others it´s really very different, it´s also getting much bigger, but for sure there are also excisting smaller clones.

As i mentioned, the last flower was about 3,5 cm (the first plant has had a flower with about 3cm in diameter) in diameter (much bigger than P. ionantha), the plant itself is about 13-14cm in diameter, really a monster. :whistling:

And this yellow colour is really very unique :P , so fare i know there are not excisting any other species with such a colour.

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

Hi Vincent,

normally it´s possible, but i´ve heard that cross pollination between two different plants produces a larger amount of seed and the viability/germination rate drastically increases. :yes:

But last year my self pollinating attempt was not successful with my other clones, this year the first seed capsule has swollen, but inside was no seed.

The second one has swollen a lot (about 7mm now) and from outside there is something dark visible, so i hope i was successful. :tu:

To reach the pollen of P. ionantha is a little bit more difficult because of the smaller size of the flower.

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.