Sign in to follow this  
Phil Green

My new grow case

Hi all,

Well that grow case I've been building http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29143 is now complete :biggrin: - well actually I've still to hang a light in there, as I ran out of time today. Thanks for your input those who commented in my earlier post.

So here are some pic's

During construction

gallery_2630_20_12335.jpg

Structure now complete - hinged front open.

gallery_2630_20_22838.jpg

Insulation added to base. I used 'Aluminium thermal foil' 4mm thick (600mm x 7.5metre, reduced to £14.99 from £33.99, B&Q) it says it is equal to 65mm of polystyrene. The sides have one layer, the base has two layers.

gallery_2630_20_22800.jpg

I then added a thin layer of sand. Layed 6M of soil heating cable (50W) and added more sand on top. Also showing a plant stand which will give me more space for plants without cutting out too much light - which comes in from both sides, the front, back and above.

gallery_2630_20_45485.jpg

The case all closed up, also shows thermostat.

gallery_2630_20_53348.jpg

I've got the heating on tonight and a max/min thermometre on top of the sand to check out how hot the surface gets, before I then put my Neps in (and hang a light). It's set for an air temp of minimum 10C. No fans yet, but I expect I'll have to add some - but thats for another day.

Hope you like it (I do) and feel free to make any comments if you see any issues I've over looked.

Looking good Phil,

I recommend that you seal the ends of the steel tubes in some way (shelving) 'cos they rust like buggery

Looking good Phil,

I recommend that you seal the ends of the steel tubes in some way (shelving) 'cos they rust like buggery

Don't I know it. A mini greenhouse I had outside (under cover) for a few years was very rusty when I took it down. Hopefully this shelving will last a while because it fits tightly into the plastic ends, with only the entrance holes (not all the way through). But when they do rust away, I plan to just replace with wooden poles.

But thanks for the thought.

spectacular Phil. OMG!! wow! man! I sooo want to make a case like that for my plants...but I am such a noob at DIY projects. :yu:

Looks great Phil! Wish I had the skills to build something similar - well done!

Heather

Cheers for the nice comments folks.

Light now added.

love those morticed Joints. Looks rely good.

Thanks Keith. Carpentry is something I'm quite good at, but I rarely use this level. I've really enjoyed making it (nice to put unsed skills into practice) so really 'went to town', don't think I've used morticed joints since I was at school. The main structure doesn't have any glue, screws or nails - I just drilled through the mortice joints and used a dowl to secure them. But did use them to add all the extras. The frame for the hinged top & front are dove tailed. Shame it's now done really :roll: I'll have to find something else to make now.

It looks great Phil, but where is the cat!!!??? :wink:

Asleep in front of the fire, she's rather lazy most of the time :nono:

Nice professional job, I like it lots. I would seal the wood too as humidity on the inside and relative dryness on the outside will cause it to warp like crazy with all sorts of weird things happening like it going lopsided, door not closing, joints swelling and splitting etc.

I havent read everything Phil but have you sealed the wood on the inside?.. Otherwise a good Job... I am having thoughts of stripping out and redoing my hothouse next year and your design (as well as Dennis') is giving me the impetus!! thumbs up my friend!!

Guest Wise

This is amaizing looking!! any chance on an update? maybe some pics with it in operation? :)

Very professional looking indeed. I bet you never had problems with Ikea furniture :(

It could use a bit of paint on the outside though :wink:. I'd paint some kind of jungle theme on it.

This is amaizing looking!! any chance on an update? maybe some pics with it in operation? :)

I had been planning to update this, so here it is.

Very professional looking indeed. I bet you never had problems with Ikea furniture :tu:

It could use a bit of paint on the outside though :wink:. I'd paint some kind of jungle theme on it.

Your right, I don't have trouble and yes I do have some. I prefer the natural wood look myself - I just luv wood.

gallery_2630_20_14579.jpg

gallery_2630_20_112173.jpg

After just a couple of days of use it became clear that fans were essential, so I installed 2 PC cooler fans. Also with the first real winter in years, the heating cable wasn't really 'man enough' for the job and so all sides were covered in bubble wrap for extra insulation and on the coldest nights I left the lights on until midnight for the extra heat. This kept temps to a minimum of about 4C on the coldest nights and everything has come through fine - the lights this winter (12-14 hours on average) has made a huge difference to the health of the plants compared to last winter with just natural day lenght.