Some problems...

Amar

Am having some problems with my H. heterodoxa x ionasii ever since I took it inside. It's under a 220W purple Nuturelite, there is always water in the tray, but still, the plant just looks dried out. I wonder if I should put a plastic bag over the plant, to increase the ambient moisture?

Hey Amar,

I'm not really an expert on this (yet), but i understood that Heliamphora's are not grown standing in water..

Could be wrong tough..but i grow them above the waterlevel (on a upside down pot) and always water from above about twice a week..

The water on the bottom is heated mildley..so it slowely evaporates..and ensures humidity in the surrounding air..

I'm sure more "Die Hard" growers will respond to your post..but this is what i understood to be correct.

I suggest you take it out of the tray for now..until you get an awnser from one of the big guys/girls..

Danny...

I only have a few Heliamphora but some of them stand permanently in water and others don't and I top water them every other day. I can honestly say that I've noticed no difference between both methods. I presume that your are using the same watering method as you did when the plant was on your balcony Amar? Sounds like it may be a humidity issue. I've never been very keen on placing plastic bags on plants as the lack of air circulation can cause fungal problems. I have one of my Heliamphora in a tall glass vase with the top open to atmosphere, this results in an increased local humidity but still with a decent air exchange.

I only have a few helis also, but my Heteroxida * Ionassii started to look dried out, and never recovered, eventually it died, the only i had done to it was repot it. I have heard though if theyve just flowered they can be very weak. Ive had two or three helis go through this dried phase and none have recovered, i dont know why in any of them, blamed it on all sorts of things like paint fumes etc but fact is i really dont know why they died.

Just visited kew yesterday and noticed there Nutans are growing partly submerged!!

Am having some problems with my H. heterodoxa x ionasii ever since I took it inside. It's under a 220W purple Nuturelite, there is always water in the tray, but still, the plant just looks dried out. I wonder if I should put a plastic bag over the plant, to increase the ambient moisture?

Hi, Amar

What sort of heat is your light giving off?

It just might be that the light is heating the moisture in the air so much that it is evaporating away too fast, causing your Heli to wilt a little.

I personally grow all my Heliamphora perminantly in water, some are kept about 4cm deep!

You might want to try the plastic bag method, and just keep a close eye on your plant for the next few weeks.

Regards

Langy

Hi, Amar

What sort of heat is your light giving off?

It just might be that the light is heating the moisture in the air so much that it is evaporating away too fast, causing your Heli to wilt a little.

I personally grow all my Heliamphora perminantly in water, some are kept about 4cm deep!

You might want to try the plastic bag method, and just keep a close eye on your plant for the next few weeks.

Regards

Langy

Thanks for all your advice, the lamp does not really give off very much heat at all, still, i've now stuck a platic bag over the plant and will wait and see what happens... :)

[quote name='nay_my_lord' post='229636' date='23rd October 2008 - 11:17 AM']Develop your plants nectarins (I mean those little hoods.)?[/quote]

I think he means, grow them in Bell Jars, or mini propagators?

Regards

Langy

Hi Amar

Good adivce given by all above but could I ask how long you have had the plant?

It could just be a reaction to the different light wavelength the pitchers are now receiving, maybe all the new growth will adapt and grow well.

There is also the possiblity (I don't want to ring any alarm bells) that the plant is suffering from a Phytophthera infecton. I have seen this several times, including plants on sale at Mira, and the typical symptoms are dried-looking plants. The distinctve feature of the infection is that the withered pitchers remain green, whereas most leaves dry out to a brown colour when they die. Could you post a photo?

I hope it sorts itself out,

Cheers

Andy

Edited by An D Smith