Utricularia reniformis

Hi,

It's been a while since I last posted anything, but I've eventually got around to sorting out a few photos to upload...

The flower stalk started to appear at the beginning of August, which surprised me a bit as it seems a little late in the season, and I have read that it can be difficult to get to flower. Anyway, I don't give it any special treatment - it just sits in about 1cm of water year round in my frost-free greenhouse, but I guess it must be reasonably happy with the conditions, since it has produced this display.

It has taken a couple of months to get to this stage, and the first flower is now fading. :thanks:

Andy.

AJP_Reniformis_1.jpg

AJP_Reniformis_3.jpg

AJP_Reniformis_5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice indeed!

Is it the first time it flowers for you Andy?..

I have several clone's..and the one i have the longest (5 years now) has not yet bloomed for me..but it sure makes a hack of a lot of "Roots"..

Peter d' amato states his specimens flower nearly the whole year..my hat is off to him!..and now to you too :thanks:

What medium do you use?..is it predominatly peaty..or more of a lightweight mix with predominatly moss, perlite and bark?

Man, i'll be hanging out the flag if mine finally sends up a stalk!

I've taken it out of the tray for it's "Dry winter resting period"..but reading your post..it sure is tempting to put it back in a few cm's of water!

Thanks for the Pictures!

Very nice indeed!

Is it the first time it flowers for you Andy?..

I have several clone's..and the one i have the longest (5 years now) has not yet bloomed for me..but it sure makes a hack of a lot of "Roots"..

Peter d' amato states his specimens flower nearly the whole year..my hat is off to him!..and now to you too :wink:

What medium do you use?..is it predominatly peaty..or more of a lightweight mix with predominatly moss, perlite and bark?

Man, i'll be hanging out the flag if mine finally sends up a stalk!

I've taken it out of the tray for it's "Dry winter resting period"..but reading your post..it sure is tempting to put it back in a few cm's of water!

Thanks for the Pictures!

Hi Danny,

Yes - it's the first time that it has flowered. I bought it at the UK CPS AGM in 2006 from Sarracenia Nurseries: you'd have to ask them about the exact medium, as it's been in the same pot since I bought it, although it is mainly peat-based.

I moved it from a longer tray containing a few other Utrics to its own tray to make photographing the flowers easier, and there were quite a lot of traps underneath the pot. I haven't disturbed the soil to see how pot-bound it might be though.

It took getting on for 2 months or more for the stalk to emerge and eventually produce flowers, but I doubt it will be able to compete with Mr d'Amato's!

The plant has always sat in water (max. depth in the tray is around 1cm to 1.5cm, I would say). I never really checked on its "preferred" conditions, so just assumed that it needed to be in water to trap prey! Probably just as well it doesn't seem to mind, or it'd likely be dead by now! :tu:

Cheers,

Andy.