Sign in to follow this  
Tobias Kulig

Growing Tips from U. campbelliana

Hello,

Here I have some culture tips of U. campbelliana for you. These refer to my culture! I have altered a Mini fridge with a front window. Now he has a top window for an external lighting.

Here once the conditions:

external Lighting: 70 W HQI (Distance to the plant are 35 cms)

Temperatures at day: 20-24°C

Temperatures at night: 11-14°C

Substrate: Tree bark preserves with a thin layer of peat and moss

Watering: only slightly humid

ucampterract7.th.jpgthpix.gif

Technology:

In the morning the lamp begins and warms up the climate on 20-24°C.

In the evening the light goes out and the fridge it begins and cools down to 11-14°C.

The fridge is so switched that he begins during the day as soon as 24°C are crossed and then cools 3 °C down.

Everything is switched about time switch clocks and a temperature control.

The result: The plant forms regularly flowers, at the moment 10 pieces are formed:

ucampbellianablte2bu2.th.jpgthpix.gif

ucampbellianatc4.th.jpgthpix.gif

I hope, you like the pictures and my tips give you some suggestions?

best regards from germany

Tobias

Beautiful Tobias - thanks for posting the photographs and cultivation techniques; it is worth all the work that you put into succeeding with this highly desirable, yet difficult Utric.

I, for one, would like to know more about your mini fridge set up - is there any chance that you could post some detailed photographs of the fridge and it's modifications? I wouldn't mind setting up a similar system myself if it isn't too expensive or difficult.

Cheers

Vic

Great information - I love the flowers on campbellina :wub: - would love the try growing this but the difficult reputation (and the price!) has put me off. One day I hope to give to give it a try though. Your set up sounds great! I've heard the best way to grow it is on bark - looks like its working well for you :yes:

Heather

Guest carnipoland

wow! what a HUGE campbelliana ! mine has formed only 2 leaves so far and i have it for about a year O_o i hope it will look int the future like yours. big congratulations :wub:

maybe everydays spraying with water slows mine down ?

i have one question- few weeks ago ive transplanted my campbelliana n fixed on bark but only with tiny layer of moss which seems to die :yes: how did you fix your moss ?

Edited by carnipoland

I am hoping to add campbelliana to my collection, thanks for the growing tips. :) Is it possible to see a photo of the entire set-up?

Edited by HugoMorse

This is probably a "Dumb" question..(altough i believe someone once said "There are no stupid questions, just..(and then something)"

But does it matter what kind of bark one uses to grow this great Utric?

Any tip's?..

Thanks!

Danny...

Edited by Danny...

Guest carnipoland

i ve seen campbellianas fixed on xaxim, i use corck bark (is it in english?) but no results so far...

Beautiful! Thanks for the growing info. We need all the info we can get about this unusual species.

Hello all,

many thanks for the positive feedback and the interest in my technology. I will try to explain it with an online translator. Hopefully you will understand it!?

Here is a whole view of the set up:

img7993rm8.th.jpgthpix.gif

For the external lighting I have sawed out a recess for the top window at the top of the fridge. Attention: Here must be respected to the cool lines!! These may not be damaged!! One must slowly pregrope the way from the inside outwardly. Inside is a thin plastic. Then there comes a kind of styropor. Outside is metal.

I have made a frame of aluminium. A share from below. A share from above. The cool lines must be sawed out accordingly. And then I have riveted it together. And then from the inside a windowpane is stuck on the frame with silicone. Then it looks thus:

img7994om2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Of course comes condensation water. This must be derived by a hole in the ground. I have bored by the fridge ground and by the shelve a hole. In this a tube is pushed. The upper tube end it is sealed with silicone. This leads in an external canister.

img7997fw9.th.jpgthpix.gif

So that the condensation water does not run by the fridge door, a barriere must be made with Perspex:

img7998nn2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Now the temperature control must be grown externally. With her one can regulate the temperatur. And so that it does not become too warm during the day. If the max. day temperature is crossed, it is automatically cooled 3°C.

img7999rq2.th.jpgthpix.gif

img8000ym4.th.jpgthpix.gif

With the day temperature one must experiment, because it depends on the lamp distance!

I hope, you understand this english and now have got some suggestions!? I wish a lot of luck and good success with the copy.

If somebody still has questions, he has go to post here. It is maybe in terms of all.

best regards from germany

Tobias

:thumbsup: ...

That is one great set-up there!

Very nice indeed!

Not being very original here..but i was planning on trying something simmilar, if not just the same..

Time however, is not on my side..so it's going to be a different, yet creative solution..(any idea's?)

Thank's for showing the set-up in detail Tobias..i'm sure a lot of people will be very happy!

It's really looking very nice!

Danny...

Hello,

Sorry, I have forgotten to answer a few questions

@ Danny: Many thanks, i´m be glad to hear this. It is a coarse cork bark....

@ carnipoland: I have preserved the bark only with a thin peat shift. The moss comes with the time itself.

regards

Tobias