Belgian Drosera

Iggy

Hi,

In August we searched for some native sundews in our area.

We couldn't find any hybrids ,but the rest was good enough for me :tu: !!

It was soo hot ,but I was lucky to see them with open flowers.

A few pictures from D.intermedia ( and one flower from D.rotundifolia ).

D.intermedia :

buitengoormolqr0.jpg

dintermediade8.jpg

dintermedia2mn9.jpg

dintermediaandflowerbh8.jpg

dintermediaandflower2id8.jpg

dintermediaandflower3ry8.jpg

dintermediaandfrogrb7.jpg

Preys :

dintermediaandpreyxm4.jpg

dintermediaandprey2fv5.jpg

dintermediaandprey3ek5.jpg

dintermediacloseupnw6.jpg

Flower D.rotundifolia :

drotundifoliaandflowerxx4.jpg

frogvn0.jpg

Thousands :

massivecolonyofdintermemm1.jpg

veenpluisap9.jpg

veenpluis2jt2.jpg

I hope you like them....

Cheers,

Iggy

• Like 1

Thank you for these nice pictures,

Next year, I would like to visit some places where live Drosera intermedia in Belgium( I've never seen them in nature). Can you tell me where you find them?

++

Fabian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
beautiful pictures! . D. intermedia and rotundifolia are the only carnivorous plants in Belgium?

Drosera is the only carnivorous species indigenous to Belgium that i know of, but i don't know all the ssp. that are indigenous.

In the near future i'm going to try to introduce some VFTs in a bog/swamp nature preserve somewhere in Belgium where i know Droseras already grow :(

I'm gonna put some different cultivars close to each other and then visit the place again a couple of years later to see what has happened :)

Dear NZL,

Drosera is the only carnivorous species indigenous to Belgium that i know of, but i don't know all the ssp. that are indigenous.

In Belgium, all three species of Drosera native to Europe can be found: D. rotundifolia, D. intermedia and D. anglica, as well as D. x obovata.

Moreover, Pinguicula vulgaris and at least Utricularia vulgaris, U. minor, U. intermedia and U. stygia are known from Belgium.

In the near future i'm going to try to introduce some VFTs in a bog/swamp nature preserve somewhere in Belgium where i know Droseras already grow happy.gif

I'm gonna put some different cultivars close to each other and then visit the place again a couple of years later to see what has happened :)

Hopefully NOT! These introductions of non-native plants into natural habitats (especially protected areas!) are THE MOST STUPID actions a plant-lover can do! Any non-native Drosera species will have the potential to become invasive, and to "invest" the area, worst case even creating hybrids with the naturally occuring species. And even plants like Dionaea or Sarracenia, which do not have the potential to become invasive weeds, do not belong to the native flora, and should not be introduced into intact natural habitats. If you are doing such a "planting" in a nature preserve (as you mentioned), this is even an illegal action! There is a reason why some plants occur in certain habitats, while others are absent. We should leave the few remaining natural areas intact as they are!! Please restrict such planting experiments to your home bog garden, but don't do in natural CP habitats!

Thanks,

Andreas

Hopefully you will never find the other species :( !!! Or maybe they will end in your miserable greenhouse.

In the near future i'm going to try to introduce some VFTs in a bog/swamp nature preserve somewhere in Belgium where i know Droseras already grow :P

People like you make me sick !!! Thanks for ruining this topic. :shock: I hope you think twice before you destroy a natural

CP habitat. But ofcours we can make a competition with the Belgian CP Society , find the VFT's and kill them!!

No serieus ,please don't do it.

Iggy

Thank you Andreas for the reaction.

Wow,

I will refrain from doing so, partly because Andreas makes a valid point, and partly because Iggy scares me :(

PS Iggy: Taking something from nature would never even cross my mind so don't worry that i'm gonna pull some droseras or other species from the field.

And i probably should've thought through the 'giving' to nature a bit more but your reaction is a bit too strong imho.

Oh, and to what address shall i send the Motilium to make you feel better?

Edited by NZL

NZL, I'm sure you meant no harm when you suggested planting vfts and/or other non-indigenous plants, glad you came to the conclusion it would be a very bad idea to do so, after you'd thought it through.

Welcome to the forum, have fun. :)

NZL, I'm sure you meant no harm when you suggested planting vfts and/or other non-indigenous plants, glad you came to the conclusion it would be a very bad idea to do so, after you'd thought it through.

Welcome to the forum, have fun. :)

Thanks Amar,

I meant no harm indeed, but i'll apologize for being stupid :(

PS Iggy: Taking something from nature would never even cross my mind so don't worry that i'm gonna pull some droseras or other species from the field.

And i probably should've thought through the 'giving' to nature a bit more but your reaction is a bit too strong imho.

Oh, and to what address shall i send the Motilium to make you feel better?

Ok, I agree, my reaction is a bit strong ,but I'm glad that you will not do it.

Iggy

Edited by Iggy

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Where is this location? I've been growing CP's for 4-5 years, but never visited a natural habitat.. (en als er een in belgie is komt dat even mooi uit ;) )

Very nice pics! I like the one with the frog, if you like taking pictures of frogs, ur welcome at my place, my pond is infested with them. Nice to look at, less nice to sleep next to ;)

Have fun!

Hi,

Where is this location? I've been growing CP's for 4-5 years, but never visited a natural habitat.. (en als er een in belgie is komt dat even mooi uit ;) )

Very nice pics! I like the one with the frog, if you like taking pictures of frogs, ur welcome at my place, my pond is infested with them. Nice to look at, less nice to sleep next to ;)

Have fun!

Olivier, if you want I can show you some area's. A lot of area's are closed for visiters (bv. Gulke Putte) but I'll probably can get us in, if you want.

Edited by kenneth

• 3 months later...
A lot of area's are closed for visiters (bv. Gulke Putte) but I'll probably can get us in, if you want.

als het gesloten is voor bezoekers snap ik niet waarom je waarschijnlijk er in kan, d'r zijn redens waarom men er niet in mag...aub respecteer het;ook al doe je geen kwaad(die persoon toont het aan die persoon en die aan die persoon en de 50st persoon haalt de boel leeg...begrijp je)

meestal worden er rondleidingen gegeven op bepaalde momenten hou je daaraan en anders, niet betreden...

please if it's not for visitors, keep out!it has been closed for a reason

many greetz