(old) pics from Venezuela

johnvdw

While I was reading through Glistening Carnivorous, one of the photo's did remind me of a flower I had photographed in the Venezuelean Andes:

scannen0006largepr1.th.jpg

A Pinguicula elongata flower!! (and some foliage at the background).

I had taken this picture because it resembled a Pinguicula flower, although I did not recognize it directly as a Pinguicula.

During the same holiday I also visited the Gran Sabana. During one of the hikes over there I came across a small habitat with CP's. The sandy foothpath was overflown by a tiny stream. In here there were two Utricularia species and on Drosera. This picture (excuses for the quality) shows the flower of one the unidentified Utric's and the sundews (I do not remember ever seeing sundews in running water). In the neighbourhood I have seen more sundews growing on riverbanks, but the picture of them is even worse than this one.

scannen0004largeul6.th.jpg

The white/ purple Utric with sundews (I do not have a proper shot on the othe (yellow) Utric.)

This is the best that I can get of the sundews.....

scannen0005largeiz6.th.jpg

Anybody any idea what species are shown on these pictures?

John

Edited by johnvdw

Hey John,

The sundew is either D.intermedia, D.roraimae or D.communis (probably the 1st). The purple flower in the 2nd pic is not a Utric, but the non-CP Burmanniaceae.

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

While I was reading through Glistening Carnivorous, one of the photo's did remind me of a flower I had photographed in the Venezuelean Andes:

A Pinguicula longifolia flower!! (and some foliage at the background).

I had taken this picture because it resembled a Pinguicula flower, although I did not recognize it directly as a Pinguicula.

The plant in the first photograph is the fabulous P. elongata. I do not know of any other south-american Pinguicula with long narrow leaves but it's definitely not P. longifolia. ;-)

Do you have any idea at what elevation you found this plant?

Cheers,

Markus

Hi,

I think the Drosera is D. communis (petioles are too wide and too short for being D. intermedia).

The "Utric" is Burmannia bicolor, a Burmanniaceae, as Fernando already mentioned. Not carnivorous, but nevertheless not boring, isn't it Fernando? ;)

All the best,

Andreas

Non-CP AND boring too! (Was that redundant? :) )

Furthermore, it grows in similar habitats to CPs, when seen in the field it always appears to be a CP (leading to many false alarms), and it is also often confused with CPs in herbarium specimens.

Therefore: I couldn't hate Burmanniaceae more!! ;)

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

P. longifolia

Of course I meant P. elongata, how can I be that stupid ??? :wacko: I think I need a holliday break, far away from here..... :woot:

It has been more than 8 years ago but my best guess is that the plant was growing at an altitude of about 3500m a.s.l.

Thanks for the replies

John

Edited by johnvdw