Nepenthes villosa

Hello

A few people have asked for some up-dated pictures of this plant, so I spent a few hours over the weekend carefully extracting it from the greenhouse. I didn't realise that the plant is now wider than the door and removing it was interesting to say the least! I'm still learning how to use my new camera (Sony Alpha 350) so please excuse the quality of the photos. For those who don't know, the plant is now almost 14 years old and was grown from seed.

Whole plant, side view. The table is 80cm across (not 100 cm as I had said in an earlier post)

Nepenthesvillosa_1.JPG

Whole plant from above.

Nepenthesvillosa_2.JPG

A cluster of this years pitchers. The plant didn't grow any pitchers for 18 months and only started again last spring. It is clearly getting increasingly difficult to grow as it gets larger.

Nepenthesvillosa_3.JPG

Pitchers

Nepenthesvillosa_4.JPG

more pitchers

Nepenthesvillosa_5.JPG

The most recent pitcher (11cm tall)

Nepenthesvillosa_6.JPG

Another pitcher (13 cm tall)

Nepenthesvillosa_7.JPG

Small pitcher grown by one of the basal shoots. (5cm tall)

Nepenthesvillosa_8.JPG

Looking at these pics I realise that the plant really needs to be potted on. I hope you have enjoyed them.

Cheers

Andy

Ah, the living legend otherwise known as Andys' villosa :D You just cant help but love that orangey-red colour, and the fab peristome ofcourse!!

It was your pictures of villosa that made me want to get one, after some advice I got macrophylla instead since they're pretty similar but easier to keep. Macrophylla is now one of my favourite plants so thanks for that advice......ofcourse I got the villosa earlier his year when I couldnt resist any longer but unfortunately its a TC clone - growing well so far abut its only a few cm across, guess it will take about 14 years to reach the size of yours - IF it gets that far :D

Les - you managed to get villosa seeds?!?! Hope they grow well for you :D

Heather

Oh my dear holy God!!! That is just amazing. This is probably the single best cultivated plant I have seen in my life. Spectacular Andy!!! Just mindblowing!!! WOW!!!! Just WOW!!!! 14 years??? Holy!!!!!!!! Wow!! I salute your dedication to this plant. :) I hope one fine day I have something the likes of this magnificent specimen. :) Thanks soo much for posting!! It is really inspirational. :)

Hi Andy,

really fantastic plant. :yes:

One of my favourite species, but since my loss of a very small plant i received 3 years ago i did not tried again to grow it because from everywhere i have heard that´s perhaps the most difficult species at all.

Your plant really seem to like your conditions and your care, good job. :tu:

Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

Dani

Wahahaow! That is truly amazing! Jeez...that's some real dedication, growing that great holy mother of greatness! Excellent!

If you don't mind me asking, just out of curiosity, have you ever tried the TC clone?

Again, that's just...gahhawgughawah... that's pure awesomeness in its truest form! Thanks so much for sharing!

Wow...

Looking good Andy!

Was it a seedling when you got it or did you also germinate it?

I wonder how big they need to get before they flower?

I think I will be rather nervous when it comes to repotting mine. The bigger a nep gets (particulary the rarer ones) the longer I put that day off!

cheers

bill

Hi

Thanks for all the comments. I did try growing a TC plant for a few years and couldn't see much difference between the two. Matty 54 now has the TC plant and it is growing well for him too, it is now almost 10cm across.

Bill, I did not germinate the plant but got it when it was three and a half years old and about 2.5 cm across. The first 4 years were the slowest and then it seemed to take off. The seeds were collected from a plant which was found growing at an unusually low altitude (2500 masl) and I think that this is one of the reasons it seems easier to grow than other clones?

An interesting feature of this plant in the past is that it has grown a couple of peltate leaves, just like N. rajah. One of it's much smaller siblings also shows quite a degree of variegation in the leaves.

I have been putting off re-potting for a couple of years now and really should get around to it soon.

Cheers

Andy

• 2 years later...