Sign in to follow this  
SamInLondon

Borneo Exotics at the Singapore Garden Festival

There are some truly spectacular plants exhibited there. Always nice seeing photos of the black truncata, hopefully BE will have seedlings of it soon.

The Rumphius doll did creep me out when I first saw the photos, actually it still does :clapping: .

Regards,

Christer

Cindy has posted some really great photographs of what was surely the best display of Nepenthes exhibited anywhere, ever! The actual display had superb, moody lighting, which unfortunately doesn't come over at all with flash photography.

I was fortunate to have been invited by Diana and Rob to help out with B.E. during the time that the Singapore Garden Festival was open to the public - none of the hard work of building or dismantling the display for me! Even though I've helped B.E. build their last two Gold Medal-winning Chelsea Flower Show displays, I still can't imagine quite how much hard work went into the planning and executing of this magnificent display - just awesome! I really must get around to editing and posting some of the 100s of photographs that I took in Singapore; here are a very small taster.

SGF1.JPG

Without doubt the most spectacular plant was the 'Black' N. truncata - the most magnificent CP ever displayed in my opinion. The B.E. plant had six full-sized pitchers - wonderful

SGFtruncata.JPG

Incorporated in the Garden Show was the Singapore Orchid Show - stunning!

This exhibit was one of my favourites.

SGFPNG.JPG

I had an unforgettably great time in Singapore, not just because the show itself was so good, but mainly because I was working with such a fantastic team of friendly and knowledgeable people who liked to work and play hard! Cindy was great at choosing local specialties to eat at the fantastic open air food market near our hotel and Will Taylor (a magnificent artist living in Sarawak - his Nep drawings have to be seen) even got me eating fish eyes one night! Yum!

One of the highlights of the week was selling a Nep to Singapore's Minister for Trade with a crowd of onlookers and official photographers!

I even managed a couple of mornings off to indulge in my other passion, some serious bird-watching and I managed to see my first Neps growing in habitat at the same time. OK it was only N. gracilis, but I was still thrilled.

SGFgracilis.JPG

All in I had a fantastic time - thanks to Rob and Diana for making it happen and the rest of the crew for their great company

Vic

Looks like you had a great time there, Vic.

Also, being able to see neps in the wild must have wonderful. This is a goal that I have yet to fulfill, maybe one day....

Regards,

Christer