Utricularia Blanchetii Pictures

mobile

My U. blanchetii has started to flower now that I've moved it to a new location under my metal halide lamp. Thought I would share a few pics with you. Sorry that they are not all in perfect focus but it's a difficult subject matter for my camera.

SS850694%20(Small).JPG

SS850689%20(Small).JPG

SS850688%20(Small).JPG

SS850687%20(Small).JPG

SS850684%20(Small).JPG

SS850685%20(Small).JPG

SS850692%20(Small).JPG

SS850690%20(Small).JPG

Congrats :shock:

Though tiny, a nice one isn't it?

What kind of lamp is your MX lamp?

Regards

Martin

You might recognise the plant Martin :wink:

I have taken a real liking to Utricularia. I've only got 3 in my collection and so far this one is my favourite. I would love to add a few more. I particularly like the small ones like blanchetii and sandersonii. Any recommendations for any others?

Lamp is a 70W 4200K metal halide - GE ARC70/UVC/TD/742/RX7S bulb

Edited by mobile

I have taken a real liking to Utricularia.

Very nice - welcome to the club :smile

I would love to add a few more.

And this will never stop again :-D I think there will be a way :wink:

Any recommendations for any others?

Well, if you really are asking ME - my answer hides already in your question... :shock:

So, what is your third one?

But even in your two mentioned species there are other lovely different forms of it, like the blue sandersonii or the white blanchetii (my former avatar - now in my signature :wink:)

Lamp is a 70W 4200K metal halide - GE ARC70/UVC/TD/742/RX7S bulb

When you are going to replace it (what may be not too far away - 6000 hours is less than two years of good use) you may think to replace it by a 942 light. Their UV-amount is high enough, their colour is much prettier (CRI in the 90s instead of seventies), they are more effective and last more than 3 times as long. And your ballast should take it.

Regards

Martin

Well, if you really are asking ME - my answer hides already in your question... :shock:

So, what is your third one?

But even in your two mentioned species there are other lovely different forms of it, like the blue sandersonii or the white blanchetii (my former avatar - now in my signature :wink:)

My third one is blue sandersonii :wink:

When you are going to replace it (what may be not too far away - 6000 hours is less than two years of good use) you may think to replace it by a 942 light. Their UV-amount is high enough, their colour is much prettier (CRI in the 90s instead of seventies), they are more effective and last more than 3 times as long. And your ballast should take it.

Thanks for the advise Martin. I wasn't aware that 942's were available in this lamp type. I will have to keep a look out for them.

Hi mobile,

your ARC70/UVC/TD/742/ RX7S bulb from GE is what Osram calls HQI-TS 70W/NDL (identical and same socket)

I like to think in Osram, because of the easier availability in Germany, and the better information material (at least in German).

So you can compair your light bulb specifications here with the analog HCI ceramic light here.

Same ballast unit, same socket, same price, so I would keep yours until it is over, and before buying a new HQI bulb you may like to think of a HCI instead.

So, do you wish to add a new colour to your growing Utricularia collection, or are you looking for something that fits in colour to yours?

Regards

Martin

Hi mobile,

your ARC70/UVC/TD/742/ RX7S bulb from GE is what Osram calls HQI-TS 70W/NDL (identical and same socket)

I like to think in Osram, because of the easier availability in Germany, and the better information material (at least in German).

So you can compair your light bulb specifications here with the analog HCI ceramic light here.

Same ballast unit, same socket, same price, so I would keep yours until it is over, and before buying a new HQI bulb you may like to think of a HCI instead.

Thanks for the infomation Martin. HCI-TS looks like it's quite a bit better than HQI-TS, giving an extra 1200 lm and a better CRI. There is a substantial difference in price between Germany and the UK for HCI-TS lamps though - they appear to be averaging 17 EUR in Germany, compared to 29 EUR in the UK :shock:

So, do you wish to add a new colour to your growing Utricularia collection, or are you looking for something that fits in colour to yours?

They are not all growing in the same location so a different colour would be OK. Plus, I don't particularly have a good colour sense so I wouldn't notice mis-matching colours :lol:

HCI-TS looks like it's quite a bit better than HQI-TS, giving an extra 1200 lm and a better CRI.

There is a third parameter, that would justify a certain higher price: while the HQI has a lifetime of about 6.000 hours, the new generation of ceramic burners already met the 20.000 h level.

I don't particularly have a good colour sense

or - that may be up to sth. else: the creativity of those who name that "colour" forms :shock: (thinking e.g. of this "blue" :roll: sandersonii)

I will have some suggestions for you soon :lol:

Regards

Martin

There is a third parameter, that would justify a certain higher price: while the HQI has a lifetime of about 6.000 hours, the new generation of ceramic burners already met the 20.000 h level.

Perhaps I should look at ordering from Germany. Even with the additional postage it would still be cheaper than ordering here. Off to look for my German to English dictionary :shock:

• 4 weeks later...
your ARC70/UVC/TD/742/ RX7S bulb from GE is what Osram calls HQI-TS 70W/NDL (identical and same socket)...

I've now replaced the GE quartz metal halide bulb with a GE ceramic metal halide bulb - CMH70/TD/UVC/942/RX7s. As you mentioned, the colour rendering is much better. Will see how the plants like it :woot:

• 3 weeks later...
I hope there is a "We" and not an "I" in the front of this sentence :sad:

My ex-English teacher would be very disappointed with my grammar :wink: Of course, it should have been 'We'...

SS850743.resized.rotated.JPG

SS850744.resized.rotated.JPG

SS850746.resized.rotated.JPG

SS850747.resized.rotated.JPG

Judging by the number of flower spikes it has put up, I'd say that the plant likes it :thanks:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This plant just keeps on flowering. It has grown to fill its original pot so I re-potted into a terracotta pot earlier this week. My hope if that the plant will start to grow down the sides of the pot eventually as it is a moist surface. I'm really rather fond of this little utric :tu:

DSCN0654.resized.JPG

DSCN0656.resized.JPG

DSCN0659.resized.JPG

DSCN0660.resized.JPG

• Like 1

Very nice display, Carl :tu:

And they take on a nice colour now too - maybe temps are lower now where it grows?

It is not very likely that it will grow down the walls of the pot, sorry. But it will cover the soil surface and double the spikes soon :wink:

Dani, blanchetii would not climb on the "rock" (clay ?). But a sandersonii would :wink:

Regards

Martin

And they take on a nice colour now too - maybe temps are lower now where it grows?

It's in the same location, under the CMH lamp, but it gets quite cool in that location in winter due to it being near a window.

It is not very likely that it will grow down the walls of the pot, sorry. But it will cover the soil surface and double the spikes soon :tu:

When it was in the smaller pot it was putting our runners (probably not the right term) which were extending outside the pot so I thought that if they landed on a moist surface then they make grow there. It doesn't matter that they won't though as I still like the look of terracotta pots, especially as they match the colour of the stones I have in the background. These runners had oval leaves though, so maybe they are not blanchetii?

Oval leaves? Runners?? Well that sounds as if there is another species mixed in, sandersonii perhaps?

It is still the plant you got from me, right?

Well, maybe... :tu:

Yes... and it has been anyhere near another Utricularia until about a week ago but I noticed these oval leaves quite a while back. Never seen any flowers other than blanchetii in the pot though. Will be interesting to see if they flower - maybe they'll grow down the side of the pot :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly it looks like I'm going to lose this plant within the next few days. I came back from a Christmas break to find that the centre of the plant was covered in a black fungus which has subsequently turned grey and furry. I cut out the worst and treated with fungicide but it does not respond to this treatment so I guess it is botrytis and since the discontinuation of Benlate, I am unaware of any other fungicide that is effective against this strain. Such a shame as it was a lovely looking plant and was doing well.

Edited by mobile

Hope you manage to save it Carl, had a similar sounding mould on one of my utrics recently - I cut it out and all seems to be fine now thankfully.....

Heather

Unfortunately, it doesn't look promising. The remaining sections now have the same fungus. I've cut out the tiny portion which seem to be free of it and potted in fresh soil but I suspect that it's also infected. Time will tell but I think I'll end up buying a new plant when weather warms.

Sorry to hear that Carl - your plant was looking really nice.

Mould is always an indication that some things have to be changed - first I would say light, but in your case that would be quite stupid :smile:

What were the temperatures? Did you place it in a closed box for some days (maybe over Xmas visits?)

Good luck for recovering -

Martin

Sorry to hear that Carl - your plant was looking really nice.

Mould is always an indication that some things have to be changed - first I would say light, but in your case that would be quite stupid :smile:

What were the temperatures? Did you place it in a closed box for some days (maybe over Xmas visits?)

Good luck for recovering -

Martin

I was away over Christmas and left my plants in the care of another member of my household. Unfortunately they thought that it was too cool in the room so they turned up the heating to full and never opened the window. As a consequence, the humidity will have increased and coupled with very little ventilation this probably caued the fungal growth. I've completely removed the plant from the room now, because of fear of cross-contaminating the other plants. It looks like it's destined for the dustbin.