Serra do Cipó, Minas Gerais State, SE Brazil - Part 2 - lots of photos

Hello to all,

I’ve just noticed that I was supposed to finish my report about my trip to Serra do Cipó made last May. :wink:

So, I must finish it before reporting my last trip, this one made in the end of July with two Brazilian friends and CPers, Vitor and Nílber. :thumright:

Well, finally here it is, the so-expected Part 2! :bad:

For those who didn’t saw the part 1, here it is:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27631

In the following day we explored one of the richest regions of the Serra (range). This is a region with many rock outcroppings from where arise many springs, some of them resist even in the dry season, promoting the diversification of species and making possible for them to get big sizes (this will be best seen in the next report).

But... unfortunately I was with the bad camera, so this is the enormous D. tomentosa var. tomentosa that inhabit this bog:

S3020101.jpg

Well, now I know how a myopic person feels like... :P

The only good pictures I have of the plants of this site are of the plants collected for herbarium that I took to the car and photographed with another camera before compressing it:

Drosera tentaculata

Mveis-157.jpg

Mveis-156.jpg

Mveis-154.jpg

Mveis-153.jpg

And a flower of Drosera camporupestris

Mveis-148.jpg

Mveis-149.jpg

Is on this region that occur some of the rare populations of the also rare Drosera sp. “Cipó”. After many time trying to find them…

S3020088.jpg

I found…. Nothing! :D

Maybe next time... (I can say that the “next time” was very successful!)

But I found in the way a species that I didn’t found in the first time I visited this region, Drosera chrysolepis:

S3020097.jpg

Also in this day we went to another region not far from the first that I’d never explored.

This time, with a decent camera, borrowed.

A field with many flowered Actinocephalus sp. (Eriocaulaceae)

Mveis-165.jpg

Mveis-168.jpg

And a beautiful Melastomataceae

Mveis-170.jpg

The site didn’t seemed very promising, but I found lots of Drosera hirtella var. hirtella

Mveis-159.jpg

Mveis-161.jpg

Mveis-160.jpg

Mveis-171.jpg

Mveis-172.jpg

I continued exploring the region and I saw a very interesting waterfall far away, the perfect place to find Utricularia neottioides. Mveis-173.jpg

Mveis-174.jpg

Notice the vegetative parts of the plant, fixed in the rock by “apressories” (don’t know the right word in english…)

Mveis-222.jpg

Mveis-223.jpg

Mveis-224.jpg

And, growing over the wet sedimentary rocks, Drosera tomentosa var. glabrata

Mveis-226.jpg

Mveis-227.jpg

Mveis-228.jpg

And some died U. neottioides

Mveis-231.jpg

And here is the end of the second day…

Mveis-141.jpg

In the following day we went to a very interesting region in the North of the Serra, a great sandy valley called Campo Redondo (“round field”). This region seemed to be very promising, the soil was composed by very white sand (quartz sand) and there were many wet places.

S3020111.jpg

S3020112.jpg

Some Vellozia

Mveis-253.jpg

This nice Apiaceae was very common and resembles a Dionaea:

S3020113.jpg

The most common CPs I found there were Drosera tomentosa var. tomentosa

Mveis-233-1.jpg

Utricularia laciniata

Mveis-187.jpg

Mveis-188.jpg

And Utricularia amethystina (no photos)

The road were very precarious, but it was no problem to the 4x4 S3020129.jpg

S3020139.jpg

We stopped in a very interesting site where Utricularia laciniata was growing all over

Mveis-263.jpg

Mveis-261.jpg

Mveis-262.jpg

Such as Drosera tomentosa var. glabrata

Mveis-256.jpg

Mveis-257.jpg

Mveis-260.jpg

Mveis-237-1.jpg

Flower

Mveis-259.jpg

Growing in the shadow

Mveis-242-1.jpg

And the Drosera chrysolepis starting to appear

Mveis-238-1.jpg

Mveis-243.jpg

These plants were quite smaller than the ones I saw in the south. The small size might be associated to the low organic material present in the soil and to the high hydric stress that these plants are submitted.

Here, growing with D. tomentosa var. grabrata

Mveis-240-1.jpg

Some D. chrysolepis were flowered

Mveis-247.jpg

A very young plant

Mveis-254.jpg

A huge population

DSC01034.jpg

Mveis-273.jpg

Mveis-276.jpg

Mveis-282.jpg

Mveis-266.jpg

Many of them were with flower buds and opened flowers Mveis-279.jpg

Mveis-280.jpg

Mveis-270.jpg

Mveis-268.jpg

Mveis-275.jpg

Back to the car, my advisor showed some Utricularia neottioides that he found... unfortunately the site he found them was too distant and to go there I would have to give up of visiting a place I really wanted to visit... :wink: I decided not to go :D (you will see why below)...

But here is the U. neottioides

Mveis-289.jpg

Mveis-290-2.jpg

And Genlisea violacea, that also occur in the place I didn’t went to...

G-violacea.jpg

We went back to the road and I could make my stop. Last November everything was too dry and I couldn’t find what I was looking for. But I was very lucky this time and could find some flowering plants of the huge and amazing Genlisea sp. “Cipó“. :bad:

The pictures aren’t mine, but of a friend, Lívia, who photographed the plants while I was searching more of it...

G-sp-Cip-16.jpg

G-sp-Cip-9.jpg

G-sp-Cip-12copy.jpg

G-sp-Cip-6.jpg

Notice how glandular it is:

G-sp-Cip-5.jpg

This nice species looks like a huge G. violacea and also occur more to the north, in the region of Itacambira.

Here is the habitat, a peaty bog in the margin of a dry river.

G-sp-Cip-habitat.jpg

At least, in the last day, before going back to São Paulo, I decided to explore the margins of this amazing waterfall:

S3020148.jpg

And found some Utricularia pusilla

DSC01161.jpg

And this was the end of this amazing trip.

Notice the happiness… 8-)

DSCF8709.jpg

Enjoy. :P

All the Best,

Edited by Paulo Minatel

Hi Paulo, great history and pictures. Brazil is amazing and thanks to people like you we can all have a glimpse at it from far away.

It's very helpfull to see the habitat of the plants I am starting to germinate, it makes me have an idea about how to grow them.

Now we will all be waiting for your next report.

Best regards,

Sebastian

Hi Paulo,

very nice pictures and the report is also very interesting to read. :P

So many pictures, it took me almost half an hour to look at everything. :bad:

Serra do Cipó must be a very interesting place, really nice landscape, especially the small river.

Most i like D. tentaculata, D. chrysolepis, D. camporupestris, the Melastomataceae, U. laciniata and U. neottioides :wink: .

Is it really only growing fixed on the rocks or also at the edges of the river?

The Apiaceae is also very interesting, it´s really very similar to a Dionaea.

Thanks for sharing. :D

Best regards,

Dani

thank you very much for sharing your wonderful trip with us! :thanks:

Dear Paulo,

What a fantastic trip report and amazing photographs! These are the best close-ups of U. neottioides that I have seen so far! Congatulations! And the first photo I have ever seen of the rare Dionaea-like Apiaceae Klotzschia rhizophylla! Well done, and thanks for showing them!

This Genlisea sp. 'Cipo' is still puzzling to me. Regarding its morphology, it reminds me of what could be a hybrid between G. violacea and G. uncinata. However, looking at its molecular data, it identical to G. uncinata. Maybe I don't have the real thing? I have noticed that several G. uncinata in cultivation here in Europe resemble G. sp. 'Cipo', not typical G. uncinata. Thus maybe I've just got the wrong thing.... ;)

All the best,

Andreas

Thanks everybody for the nice comments!

These are the best close-ups of U. neottioides that I have seen so far! Congatulations!

Thanks Andreas!

You can see other nice pictures of this species here: http://www.forum.clickgratis.com.br/planta...vor/t-1693.html

And the first photo I have ever seen of the rare Dionaea-like Apiaceae Klotzschia rhizophylla!

Thanks for the ID!

Well, I don't know where it is rare, but I''m sure it isn't in the Serra do Cipó and Diamantina region. :-)

This Genlisea sp. 'Cipo' is still puzzling to me. Regarding its morphology, it reminds me of what could be a hybrid between G. violacea and G. uncinata. However, looking at its molecular data, it identical to G. uncinata. Maybe I don't have the real thing? I have noticed that several G. uncinata in cultivation here in Europe resemble G. sp. 'Cipo', not typical G. uncinata. Thus maybe I've just got the wrong thing.... ;)

Fernando once told me that the cultivated plants of G. uncinata didn't have the "uncinated" (curved) spur. I never saw this species alive (only photos and herbarium specimens), so it's hard to hypothesize...

I'm not sure if it was Fernando who sent seeds of both species to Europe (although only 1% sure), maybe it's not the right plant...

I'm cultivating G. sp. "Cipó" and I hope to get flowers of it next spring (September/October), maybe we can introduce the right plant with no doubt this time.

All the Best,

Edited by Paulo Minatel