Christmas Cacti Leaf Cutting......

PLATINUMVFT

Well, yesterday, I lifted my Xmas Cactus up to check the soil moisture, plant etc, and a.........lets say, brach, fell off. Luckily I had a tray of Atropa Belladonna Seeds near by, so I stuck it in there. Its still alive, so thats good right?

DSCF0350.jpg

Should I be doing something else? humidity, sunlight, temp anything? If anyone has taken a cutting, that would be great.

Edited by PLATINUMVFT

I have rooted many easter and christmas cacti . The best thing is to leave your cutting somewhere out of sunlight and let the leaves go limp say five to seven days . Then pot it at the side of the pot in well drained compost make sure compost is firm arround the cutting water from other side of the pot as the cutting is ( this will prevent the risk of it rotting ) Keep the compost damp but not too wet at all times . At this time of the year it will take about four weeks to root .

• 2 weeks later...

it made the roots there becouse of the high humidity coming off the soil!!!

Here are some pictures of plants made frow leaf cutings!!! I made them about a year ago!!! just thought id share!!!

Picture431.jpg

Picture432.jpg

Picture430.jpg

Picture426.jpg

In the wild they grow in leaf litter in trees . So what you need is very free draining compost very little feeding and I only water once a week in very hot weather about once every two weeks as the weather been this summer .The last two weeks in augest and september I water a bit more often as that time of the year the flower buds are forming . In late spring I cut with a sharpe knife the bottom two inches of compost off the bottom of the plant it still as roots on it then pot up with a couple of inches of fresh compost on the top . This stops the plant from getting old at the bottom .