Miniature VFT

Hi,

I read plenty of posts about large VFT's - B52, South West Giant, largest trap competition etc, but I don't recall seeing any post on miniature VFTs - is there such a thing?

I hope Trev want mind me linking to his site and picture but here’s one.

Trev's Cudo

It's small. Maybe Trev could tell you how big the one in the picture is mine's about 8mm so having great problems taking a picture of it

Carl

Edited by MLVC2002
To the best of my knowledge the best one is Cudo will see if I can find a picture

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of Cudo but that looks like a mutation to me, rather than a miniature form of a typical VFT - though I suppose a miniature form is a mutation? Melly has very recently posted a picture of Cudo here. I was sort of hoping for something that looked like the typical form but miniature.

There seem to be several miniature clones ou there. The most common one is probably B09, sold by Best Carnivorous plants or CZ plants. I have been growing this clone for about 4 years and it never got lager than 2 cm in diameter. It looks like a normal seedling.

Regards

Jens

You can see some photos at

http://users.humboldt.edu/rziemer/Dionaea.html

Look under headings:

“B9 form”

“Clone B 09 (BCP)”

“Cudo”

“Dwarf”

“Miniature Form”

“Minutissimum”

“Pygmy VFT”

“Red Pygmy”

Many of these may be the same clone. The large number of names for possibly the same form is out of control.

Edited by BobZ

There's also petite dragon, fuzzy tooth (mini fused tooth), neotenic pygmy and a few pygmy SL (Steffan Lessen) clones. I have also been told that Minutissimum has reverted back to growing almost normal size.

Petite dragon looks like a mini akai ryu and is a very nice clone, if you're looking for a mini vft that looks normal then this would be a good option too. Cudo whilst interesting isnt exactly a pretty clone. I do grow the 2 neotenic clones and 2 fuzzy tooth clones but have only recently got them, the neotenics are tiny and seem to produce flower spikes quite frequently.

Heather

Hi,

I read plenty of posts about large VFT's - B52, South West Giant, largest trap competition etc, but I don't recall seeing any post on miniature VFTs - is there such a thing?

I first got into fly traps about a year ago. I tried to grow some from seed and two plants made it, one is now about 5 cm across and still increasing in size. The other is still only 5mm across and looks like a new seedling, It maybe just a very sickly plant but then again its lasted a year now. Does this mean it’s a mutation?

I now have 20 different types now, so increasing slow but steady!

Andy

Does this mean it’s a mutation?

It could just be a very slow grower, some of the ones I have grown from seed are still very small whereas some some have grown considerably. The only way to tell really is see how it grows over the next few years........

Heather

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Carl,

There are quite a few true Pygmy VFT's and I grow several of them. There are new clones that have just entered the market but they appear to be much larger forms than the original forms I own. They have still not fully recovered from when I received them, so I have yet to get to know them! I am just updating the thread I created on Pygmy VFT's if you fancy a peak.

Heather,

Interesting info about Minutissimum. I accidently created one when I changed the conditions of an all-red from almost entering dormancy to the warmth of a terrarium. The plant reacted by creating dozens upon dozens of miniscule plants and nothing else. They have taken years to start growing and are still tiny. It is interesting how stress can affect a plant.

Take care,

HugoM.