D Capensis alba

manders

I haven't heard of anyone doing it, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done, it should certainly be possible providing you have flowers of the two forms open at the same time. The chances are that the 'alba' form is controlled by a double recessive gene though and most if not all of the offspring will be of typical colour, rather than getting intermediates.

If you do try it, remember to remove all the stamens from the flower you are going to fertilize, so you avoid self-fertilization. You may have to remove all open flowers on other D. capensis in your growing area too if there are natural pollinators about.

Vic

Manders next time you do something similar to what youve allready done why not keep a Binata in its own pot and just bury it in the soil mix of the larger pot? then have all the others around it? that way it will stay balanced.

Chris

Chris,

Good idea, I wasnt expecting the Binata to spread quite as quickly as it did, its taken less than a year to spread to fill the entire pot. Only down side I can see to that is that the central pot would have to have holes in the bottom (to keep the peat damp, i water 3-4 times a year, and the bulk of the peat acts as a water reserve). I think the binata roots would go through the holes in the pot and spread to the bigger pot anyway, they get everywhere. I think the Binata will just have to be kept on its own.

Hmmmmm, yeah maybe.... or have the binata pot undrained and water it seperately from above. Im planning on making a similar thing to what you have done but it will be shallower and standing in about 4 inches of water. Im gonna have al sorts of Drosera in there.

Chris