and its delicate flower:

immagine035yz8.jpg

By pecoranera

Here's the second plant (flowers are deep red):

img3509ms7.jpg

By pecoranera

img3958sq5.jpg

By pecoranera

And here's the last one (for today). It was sent to me as S. leucophylla hybrid, and i think there's some S. rubra in it... look at the second photo, of a juvenile pitcher.

img3901xz5.jpg

By pecoranera

img3956vl5.jpg

By pecoranera

Ok... now it's time for answers. :yes:

It's never easy to get a definitive answer to what a hybrid plant is, but I'll have a go.

The first one looks like it has flava (or oreophila) and perhaps rubra in it. I can't see the flower photo. What colour is it?

The second looks like it could be x excellens x something, possibly leucophylla.

The third is a leucophylla hybrid with any number of other possible parents, perhaps rubra again?

I think I'd be tempted to label them as unidentified hybrids.

Any other opinion?

I know it's impossible ID them with certainty, and in any case i'll lable them as hybrid 1,2 & 3, but... try to guess... i would see how much my suppositions come close to yours.

Loakesy: the main color of the flower is yellow, but it has a red shading which becomes stronger on the margins of petals and sepals. When the petals are about to fall, they turn orange.

First one to me looks like Oreophylla x (flava x rubra)

Second looks like it has a lot of leuco, not sure about the second parent.

Third maybe leuco x rubra maybe rubra long lid?

Probrably wrong, but maybe.

Hope this helps,

Cody S

Loakesy: the main color of the flower is yellow, but it has a red shading which becomes stronger on the margins of petals and sepals. When the petals are about to fall, they turn orange.

The red colouration is certainly suggestive of there being some rubra in there!

The red colouration is certainly suggestive of there being some rubra in there!
The first one has a wavy lid indicating....

Just what i tought: both the red colouration of the flower and the wavy lid can suggest that there is some leucophylla in it!?!? It could be a grandparent!?!?

True. But it could also indicate the presence of S. minor. These white spots are also present on the heterophylla form of S. rubra ssp. gulfensis - just to throw another spanner into the works! :D

True. But it could also indicate the presence of S. minor. These white spots are also present on the heterophylla form of S. rubra ssp. gulfensis - just to throw another spanner into the works! :happy:

S. minor? I don't think... the spots in that species are on the back of the pitcher, while these are lateral.

And the influence of S. rubra ssp. gulfensis f. heterophylla doesn't explain the wavy lid.

If i had to guess, i'd say:

first hybrid: Sarracenia flava x (leucophylla x alata)

second hybrid: Sarracenia leucophylla x minor or Sarracenia leucophylla x (rubra x minor)

third hybrid: Sarracenia leucophylla x (leucophylla x rubra)

What do you say?

Edited by bearphant