Blooms or Wyevale Garden Centre

thebullet

Oh ok thanks thats great! So the perlite should be non fertlized right? and should be ok for my VFT and do you think the Sphag they are selling for lining hanging baskets out is ok? I can repot yet i have sprinkled seeds onto the same soil straight out of the pod like 3 weeks ago, no sign yet though.

thanks

Well thanks alot for the help! :) Do you know any prices? why im asking so many questions is becuase from here Wyevale is quite a drive and instead of wasting a journey i thought i would check.

Once again thanks all i have to do now is wait for the seeds to germinate (if they do) Not sure how old they have to be before i can transplant them.

Ye i might do that, i have looked on there site but nothing on there that i can see. Ermm are you any good with caring for VFT while im talking to you. Like i said the seeds are fresh and they havnt germinated they are in full sun and everything like that but they arent doing much. I need these to grow before i can repot the main plant in the center.

Thanks

Have you got a local DIY store, B&Q, Focus, Homebase etc? They usually stock perlite and I know that my local Focus DIY stocks hanging basket sphagnum moss, so I presume others do too. I've never heard of perlite with added fertiliser.

Edited by mobile

I got B&Q and homebase. But im confused haha. I started of thinking the hanging basket sphagnum and perlite will do but then reading people are using perlite and peat moss. But i dont know if Peat moss is just another name for Spagnum moss or is something completely different.

Thanks

Edited by thebullet

But i dont know if Peat moss is just another name for Spagnum moss or is something completely different.

Peat moss = sphagnum moss peat- It's the brown stuff that looks like compost and is often one of the constituents of compost. If you are going to use it then make sure that it is pure 'Sphagnum moss peat' with no additions or additives. It is formed from sphagnum moss that has decayed over hundreds or thousands of years. The other type of peat is sedge peat and that is not suitable for CPs.

Sphagnum moss - The stuff that is often used for lining hanging baskets. Be careful though because not all hanging basket moss is sphagnum moss.

I think wyevale have stopped doing peat moss, not sure about anywhere else...

Certainly the few Wyevale and Blooms that I checked in did not stock it, so I would suggest that you phone them before potentially wasting a journey. I know that my local B&Q stock it thought.

Edited by mobile

Oh great so i think i will do the hanging basket one and perlite, this should be ok for my VFT, Now all i need are the seeds which when checking have little white stubs coming from one end, dont know if this is anything but ye i will keep an eye out. If i think of anythink else to ask i will post it here thanks you two guys you have been really helpfull.

Most people use sphagnum moss peat for vfts rather than using live or dried sphagnum moss. They both make completely different growing mediums for vfts and personally I'd reccomend using peat rather than moss, I think most people who grow a lot of vfts will tell you the same.

Hope that make sense........

Heather

I havent seen peat for sale in bags less than 100 litres. However, if you only want a small amount then you can pick up small pre-mixed bags of vft composts from a few places - Hampshire Carnivorous Plants website, Little shop of Horrors website, sometimes ebay.

Its much cheaper to mix your own but if you dont have room for a big bag of peat then the smaller pre-mixed composts might be an option for you.

Heather

I use just peat for my few VFTs, but the peat I have is quite course so doesn't really require the additional drainage that perlite adds. The smallest bags I've seen are 30 litre, which is obviously a lot more than you require. As Heather mentioned, you may be better purchasing some ready mixed VFT compost.

Guest rice_smuggler

If you have the space, I say buy the smallest bale available since I'm sure as with all CP enthusiasts your collection will eventually grow.

I work at a wyvale branch in Stapleton,

we sell perlite (10L) @ £3.99

long-firbred sphagnum (probably 5L bag) @ £2.99

They do not stock pure peat anymore as the are going eco 'friendly'

Can you buy really small bags of this stuff just enough to fill a medium sized pot?

i would go to your local nursery (not multi national garden centre!) explain your problem and most decent nursery's will sell you a carrier bag full for a nominal fee as theres usually pallets of busted bags out the back.

just reading stevoe's post made me laugh as i pointed out to the staff of my local wyevale when they informed me they'd gone green what about all that multi purpose (there must have been 20 pallets of peat based multi purpose)

lol! Wyvale garden centres (g/c) are not the best!

The g/c down the road sells materials at better rates, they do 50L bags of perlite for £9.99! and 200L bags of peat for about £5.99. The sand I think is pretty much the same price for 25kg of lime-free.

You may be aware I am making a bog, and I have found that shopping around on the internet gets you good prices, and then you realise how much g/c's mark up the pricing!

I am buying 100L bags of perlite for £10! thats 10p/l compared to wyvale who sell at 40p/l

Also with the eco-'friendly' they are starting to charge on carrier bags, my branch actually has a 'standard' recyling bank which is their best effort so far, although I don't think its beneficial as the Barwell Tip which is only down the road recycles almost everything. Aparently my county is one of the tops for recyling! :D

And I don't recommend anyone getting a 'general' job at wyvale, or even any other g/c as I have never come across a better paids one. Just minimum wage, my mates even the ones below 18 get paid £5.50 at Somerfield! I was going to try and get wyvale to sponsor me after working there a year to go to Indonesia, but they wouldn't :heart:

• 1 month later...

Just been to Wtevale garden centre to look for sphagnum moss, I asked a guy who worked there what u should repot my VFT and he said multi purpose compost, i find this hard to believe and i dont know whether i should, He took me to the Sphagnum Moss and it didn't really look like the stuff my VFT is planted in now so i left it. Would i be ok to plant it in normal multi purpose compost? I dont get why they are not selling the pete any more when they sell the VFT's in it.

Hi

Better off at an independent garden centre, as most big ones have stopped selling peat to be eco freindly, plus alot of the smaller garden centres either buy or collect their own sphagnum moss in bags, one near me sell LFS £2.99 for a bag so its best to shop around.

Regards

Les