Sign in to follow this  
-=Joel=-

Pinguicula Caudata Care

Hi folks,

How should p. caudata be kept please. Does it need a dormancy period & how low of a temperature can it take ? I have done a forum search and couldn't find a definite answer so hopefully the pinguicula experts can help me out :)

Thank you,

Joel

Pinguicula caudata is an old name for the form of P. moranensis, commonly called "var. caudata" now, but technically should be called Pinguicula moranensis var. neovolcanica along with dozens of other forms of this variable species.

It is a large growing form and very tolerant of growing conditions. It will grow quite well in peat & perlite mixes as well as in other more typical Ping mixes.

I wouldn't let it get much below about 4C in winter and if you are going to keep it under cold conditions, keep it dry too to avoid rot. It does very well as a houseplant on windowsills, so if your greenhouse is too cold in winter bring it indoors in early autumn.

Vic

Thank you Vic.

It was a present from my mother who picked it up at the Evesham boat fair. A very big, as you say, and pretty plant. The flower being a bright pink. Will this plant self pollinate ?

I will keep it inside then and grow it under the grow lights. I don't grow many pings but those that I do I find very charming :)