N. spectabilis

SamInLondon

I'd like to try my hand at N. spectabilis and am wondering how other people find it. It'll be living on a windowsill, so I'm hoping it's not too fussy about humidity. Is there any particular form or clone that is considered to be easier/faster?

Sam

Edited by SamInLondon

I have one, I would not recommend it for a window I have mine on a window since it is rather large and I have no room in my terrarium. It has nice red leaves and is a consistent grower but it has not produced a pitcher in like 4+ months. The nursery I got it from discontinued it from their stock becuase most of their plants had not produced a pitcher in over nine months. I have nepenthes spectabilis clone 1 btw, I don't know much about the other forms.

Edited by D_muscipula

Thanks everyone for the repies.

I really like this species and would love to give it a go (thought it was one of the easier ones), but suppose I ought to look at spectabilis hybrids too.

Sam

Sam,

I do thinks its an easy grower, it survived everything i've thrown at it (which some haven't) its just maybe slightly fussier about pitchering than the really easy ones. There's some very nice Spectabilis * Ventricosa hybrids around too.

• 2 weeks later...

I will say that mine took a LONG time to start pitchering but once it did it has pretty regularly. I have it in the open air in the bed room.

I also have spec x ventri and it grows a LOT faster and really has nice pitchers. It has some long tendrils though.

What kind of light do they appreciate?

I never really saw much out of mine until I put my grow shelf together so I would say fairly bright, for a nep that is.

This species will let you know about the light as they will turn red/rust colored in good light