Drosera Capensis Flowers?

PLATINUMVFT

My D.Capensis Albino has flowers on it, great. But, what? The flowers look like they are spent (Opened and closed) How, how is this possible, I must have blinked and missed it. How fast do they open and close? How did it get flowers on it anyway? The other Capensis isn't flowering.

Edited by PLATINUMVFT

My D.Capensis Albino has flowers on it, great. But, what? The flowers look like they are spent (Opened and closed) How, how is this possible, I must have blinked and missed it. How fast do they open and close? How did it get flowers on it anyway? The other Capensis isn't flowering.

They only open for short periods during the day depending on the sunlight. I actually cut the stalk off once it reaches a certain height so the damn thing won't seed :flag_of_truce:

They end up as weeds eventually. Seeds are the last thing I want :) There are other flowers waiting to open on that stalk so you will see it flower, plus they self seed.

I have a couple of pots of capensis and each year I cut them back to the roots in Winter. By Spring they are back and not overgrowing the pot if I had left them alone.

What do you do to cut them back? Like just cut the end of the stump at the level of the substrate?

When do you cut it back!?

They end up as weeds eventually. Seeds are the last thing I want :) There are other flowers waiting to open on that stalk so you will see it flower, plus they self seed.

I have a couple of pots of capensis and each year I cut them back to the roots in Winter. By Spring they are back and not overgrowing the pot if I had left them alone.

;)

What do you do to cut them back? Like just cut the end of the stump at the level of the substrate?

Yes , just cut the flower stalk off as low as you can .

Cut it back as soon as you see the flower stalk forming .

To the level yes. December is when I cut them down. In the past they have looked unslightly hanging over the edge of the pot so a cut back sorts that out.