Seeds?

PLATINUMVFT

Ok, so my VFT flowered about a month back

The flowers:

DSCF0218.jpg

DSCF0217.jpg

DSCF0227.jpg

I only actualy hand polinated about 2 flowers, but most of the time it was outside. Now the flowers are dead and something else has taken its place.

DSCF0289.jpg

I'm assuming these are seed pods. But how can you tell if there are any seed in there at all? how long does it take till they are ready to use, if they are even viable?

The seed pods will continue to blacken over the next couple of weeks. When they are ready to be harvested, the outer casing will start to drop, and you will be able to see the seeds - just carefully snip the pods off or shake into a pot/envelope. I usually start to harvest mine middle of August.

So I let two of my VFT's flower this year as an experiment as I had never seen flowers in the flesh before. So here is a pic of a ripened dionea seed pod for you to show what to look out for:

p6290075-4b585rzps.jpeg

And I apologise for hijacking this thread, but the two plants I let flower were both devisions of the same plant. I sowed a handful of these seeds a week or two ago on milled sphagnum and nothing has germinated yet. Is it possible these seeds are not viable, due to both plants being genetically the same?

And I apologise for hijacking this thread, but the two plants I let flower were both devisions of the same plant. I sowed a handful of these seeds a week or two ago on milled sphagnum and nothing has germinated yet. Is it possible these seeds are not viable, due to both plants being genetically the same?

Be patient. It may take 4-6 weeks till they germinate. If they haven't germinated by then they probably never will. Self pollination has always worked with my VFTs.

Regards

Jens

So I let two of my VFT's flower this year as an experiment as I had never seen flowers in the flesh before. So here is a pic of a ripened dionea seed pod for you to show what to look out for:

p6290075-4b585rzps.jpeg

Don't be. You've done quite the oposite actually. You showed me a bloody good picture of what the seed pods will look like once the seeds are ready. So Thank you :laugh:

Edited by PLATINUMVFT