N. Glabrata

flytrapcody

I know that they are highlanders, but are there any tips out there to making them perfectly happy? Temps? Humidity? Any tips are welcome.

Cody

Mine was seriously unhappy when it got too much sun and was too hot, definitely likes to be cool and humid and diffuse light. (whereas many highlanders are much more tolerant)

This species seems particularly prone to red spider mite attack, as does N. hamata. In fact I would say all Sulawesi species are. Definately requires higher humidity than the general run-of-the-mill highlander.

Cheers and good luck

Andy

Too true Andy!... I had an infestation on my hamata but luckily it encouraged basal growth... I now have three basals but the main stem was cut and quickly rotted away... very lucky for me as the rot had just started when I opted to take the infected area as a cutting... The glabrata is growing like mad and I also have a high humidity and ambient temp of approx 75 to 85....

It does well with my hamata, it likes cool moist conditions and I heard that it does not like temperatures above 75F but mine seems to do fine with 80F days. Most days my room is 74F though.

Perfect, I live in Ventura so the hottest it gets is 80, and there is always fog in the morning/afternoon hours and I can see the ocean from my house so I think its got enough humidity.

This species seems particularly prone to red spider mite attack, as does N. hamata. In fact I would say all Sulawesi species are. Definately requires higher humidity than the general run-of-the-mill highlander.

OK, so now this changes everything if I put it in a terrarium outside with a glass lid, would it do well? It would captcher humidity pretty nicely.

Too true Andy!... I had an infestation on my hamata but luckily it encouraged basal growth... I now have three basals but the main stem was cut and quickly rotted away... very lucky for me as the rot had just started when I opted to take the infected area as a cutting... The glabrata is growing like mad and I also have a high humidity and ambient temp of approx 75 to 85....

OK, changing again, inside my room in a terrarium that I mist two or three times a day.

This way it doesnt get to cold.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!!!!!!!!

CODY

Cody!! I find no one situation works with everyone!!! :smile: I think plants get used to were they are and sometimes thrive, but the idea is to try and get it right and then change things in small increments if a plant isnt doing as well as it should.... I have a macfarlaneii that hasnt grown for three years and the damn thing just sits there... maybe this year!!! :wink:

Edited by Stephen Crane

I have a N. glabrata in my small terrarium. The terrarium has an ultrasonic mister, a daylight compact fluorescent and a fan. The fan and light are on during the day and off at night. The mister is on a timer, coming on once per hour for ten minutes during the day, this maintains a very high humidity. Given the above, the only variable is temperature. I find that the glabrata grows faster in the winter months so I think it prefers cooler temperatures.

Cody!! I find no one situation works with everyone!!! I think plants get used to were they are and sometimes thrive, but the idea is to try and get it right and then change things in small increments if a plant isnt doing as well as it should.... I have a macfarlaneii that hasnt grown for three years and the damn thing just sits there... maybe this year!!!

Ok thanks,

PS. Ive had that happen to me with a p. titan. two years it sat and did nothing, no new growth, no new leaves, nothing, and just recently it has exploded. So hopefully that will be the case for you.

I have a N. glabrata in my small terrarium. The terrarium has an ultrasonic mister, a daylight compact fluorescent and a fan. The fan and light are on during the day and off at night. The mister is on a timer, coming on once per hour for ten minutes during the day, this maintains a very high humidity. Given the above, the only variable is temperature. I find that the glabrata grows faster in the winter months so I think it prefers cooler temperatures.

Ok, well it might be cool enough hear, today was one of the hottest all year and it was 82. Ventura has an average of 71 which is pretty cool. but i will just plop it with my brothers highlanders and see what happens.

Thanks for the help guys.

Cody

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

most times I come across cultivation conditions of N. glabrata, I read of diffused light. Does your pitchers bring out this remarkable white at this light level? That would be good to know (and bad for my budget :tu:)

Pictures would be very welcome.

Thanks and regards

Martin