Osmocote

Alexis

we introduced Mike King to the use of Osmocoate with Psitts and other sarras a few years ago .I think it has transformed his experience of growing them.

We use a vft mix with osmocoate for our young plants with dramatic results.Knocks years off seed to maturity.

We hope to be selling our Sarracenia and VFT/Drosera mix copost with Osmocoate next year in the Spring.

These mixes have been used and tested by us for over 10 years with constant positive results.The only drawbacks are areduction in Colour intensity due to nitrogen greening up the foliage in the first few months after potting and increased moss growth.

Will post some photos if i can to show results later this week

Has anybody tried taking a handful of the pellets and grind them into a homogeneous powder... or soak a handful in water and apply the solution into the soil? It would seem that achieving homogeneity is part of problem.

Hi Jim,

don't do that - the advantage of Osmocote is the coat! So it releases the nutriens very slowly. Thats the trick.

If you make a powder, you can use any other fertiliser. With the problems of over-fertilising.

Regards

Martin

We have used osmocote on most of the neps at some point, usually about once per year, we usually just throw a finger pinch full in each pot. This year we also tried blood fish and bone and maxicrop liquid seaweed. Don't think we had any deaths as a result of the fertiliser but the jury is out, certainly some plants are much bigger than last year.

My concern is still this tendency for osmocote to release all its feed very quickly as I mentioned earlier. Overall the results on a few Neps have been positive in the long term with better growth. But this has only occured after the plant has gone into a decline from the feed with overdosing! Once repotted and only using water to flush the compost the feed in the plant gradually diminishes until it starts to have a positive effect on the plant. Trouble is once it is effectively used up you are back to square on. Now if only it really was SLOW release!!

I have seen this effect mentioned on other Nep forums so it is not only me noticing this effect. Will try a giving a dosage in the odd pitcher to see if that works better.

cheers

bill

Nutrient release by Osmocote is very heavily temperature dependent - the coating is formulated to give nutrient release at average outdoor temperatures in the UK so if you heat it to Nepenthes temperatures it is going to release nutrients very much faster than the label suggests. Use the 12 month formulation if it is going to be hot and use small quantities. Even outside in the UK there are sometimes problems with it causing nutrient scorch in hot summer temperatures. If you drop it into pichers, the coating will almost certainly be destroyed rapidly, and all the nutrients will be released at once, which will probably destroy the pitcher.

I tried one pellet per cell on 20 (out of 40) 2 year old sarra seedlings and am noticing a deffinate increase in growth over those not given a pellet.

I have also popped ones into the odd Nep pitcher previously. It does seem shorten the life of the pitcher, but I never noticed any adverse effects on the plants. The advantage of adding to the pitchers rather than the soil is that if problems occur, you just cut of the pitcher and instant end of nutrient supply - no need for contstant flushing of the compost.

I'm planning on testing out some osmocote on Sarra seedlings too. I have one type that is used up over 4 months, and can't decide whether to apply it twice a season (once in early spring and once in late summer) or just once to cover the summer. Any advice?

Edited by aaron308

• 2 weeks later...
Nutrient release by Osmocote is very heavily temperature dependent - the coating is formulated to give nutrient release at average outdoor temperatures in the UK so if you heat it to Nepenthes temperatures it is going to release nutrients very much faster than the label suggests. Use the 12 month formulation if it is going to be hot and use small quantities.

I have not seen the 12 month formulation, only the 6 month one. Any links to it?

cheers

bill

I have not seen the 12 month formulation, only the 6 month one. Any links to it?

http://www.scottsprofessional.co.uk/uk/product/589

http://www.scottsprofessional.co.uk/uk/product/569

16-18 months:

http://www.scottsprofessional.co.uk/uk/product/572

Edited by mobile

• 2 weeks later...
Nutrient release by Osmocote is very heavily temperature dependent - the coating is formulated to give nutrient release at average outdoor temperatures in the UK so if you heat it to Nepenthes temperatures it is going to release nutrients very much faster than the label suggests. Use the 12 month formulation if it is going to be hot and use small quantities. Even outside in the UK there are sometimes problems with it causing nutrient scorch in hot summer temperatures. If you drop it into pichers, the coating will almost certainly be destroyed rapidly, and all the nutrients will be released at once, which will probably destroy the pitcher.

As said John, if you are using Osmocote Exact Standard, you have to be careful about using it. It depends on temperature and humidity. If i would try to use it, I will do like this. Potting in autumn with a 9 months and during the growth period watering only on the top, but without a water level. Because if you are keeping always very wet and both under greenhouse with an higher temperature, the fertiliser will liberate quickly and you will lose or damage your plant.

In horticulture like shrubs production, we are using this fertiliser at 4-6g per liter of substrate (included in the substrate). In some case in the middle of season (june) we adjust by using a surfacing fertiliser like Osmoform or Triabon.

So I think you have to try this with young plant with a very developed rooting system and with a lower dosis maybe 1g/l first.

I've been trying to obtain some Osmocote from the professional range but so far I've drawn a blank. It would appear to be available in 25Kg bags only and not available to the public - trade only.