Aristolochioides & sibuyanensis not looking good

LJ

Hi all

I recently installed an extra light into my growing area, more light and a higher day temperature now (getting up to about 30-32 C) but my aristolochioides & sibuyanensis seem to have reacted quite badly with a lot of the leaves turning brown, not entirely sure its down to the new light though?? Are these two not big light lovers?? The only other thing I can think is perhaps I've over watered although Im pretty careful with watering and only do it when they are getting quite dry.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated......:tu:

Heather

aristolochoides grows quite happily in full south facing sun for me, with just a layer of admittedly quite old bubble insulation for shading

sibuyanensis does the same, but does show signs of light stress, with relatively small and fairly pale leaves. Not enough for me to want to do anything about it - and apart from making the plant perhaps less lush and attractive looking, it seems to do it no harm and I hope will encourage flowering

http://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgi...amp;thread=1622

Dave

My guess is that was too much too fast. Hard to tell if it was just a reaction or worse, but I wouldn't do any more changes. Too much tinkering could be detrimental. We just need to wait it out.

Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps I will try to move the sibuyanensis somewhere without the full effect of the new light. Good to know the aristolochioides should be ok with the increased light levels though - perhaps it just a bit of a shock for it at the moment. I guess there's not much to be done really except keep my fingers crossed that they recover.......just wanted to check leaves going brown wasnt a symptom of over watering.

Heather

Hi Heather.. the sib I used to have was extremely temperamental and I think I gave it too much attention in the end.. thus killing it.. supprise supprise... I did find that moving it wasnt a great idea but in the end I think my setup just doesnt suit some neps... thats why I was eager for the reinwardt seed as my green form has gone from approximately a couple of inches high when purchased last year to vining and well into 2 foot long.... one of those lucky instance when I got something right!!!!

Hi Stephen and thanks :smile: I do agree about the sibuyanensis being temperamental - perhaps we have the same clone!! It took about 6 months to settle in and pitcher and now its finally pitchering all the leaves are turning brown - grrrr!! Perhaps its best just to leave it where it is there and hope for the best.

Ah, decisions decisions :blink:

Sounds like your reinwardtiana is doing very well indeed - lets hope the seedlings grow as quickly!!

Heather

I lost one of the seedlings the other day.. just turned out there was a sphagnum growth spurt!!... I was joyful in finding it again oh yes.. but not half as happy when I found another seedling in the reinwart green that I had sprinkled on the top of that....fingers crossed we will have a green and a red in the same orchid basket... I thought of doing a jig but I have no lower body rhythm to speak of!! :D

Awesome Stephen.

Heather, my brothers aristo is doin so well it produces at least three pitchers a month. He has his outside where the temps are around 65-80 getting full sun, but it started to do the same thing. So he put a shade cloth infront of it, and it recovered within two weeks, so maybe there is too much light on the little guys. Or it might be to hot. I would suggest putting a small piece of shadecloth over were the aristo sits. How ever the sibuy, im clueless, mine died so i cant give tips on it, unless you want it to die? :man_in_love: JK.

Cody

Hi all:

I am not sure whether this is the same clone or not, but EP had sibuyanensis X aristolochioides for sale some time ago. Anyway, my own experience is that this plant likes highland conditions with particular affinity for temperature drops at night. If humidity is deficient, the plant will grow without producing pitchers. Once the humidity and temperature drops are restored, the plant will grow the way it's supposed to.

With regards to sibuyanensis clones, i 'd like to say there are plenty around and they are all temperamental, at least, under my conditions.

I know for sure that some growers have beautiful sibuyanensis around, but most of us struggle with this species.

Gus

• 4 weeks later...