Are Heliamphoras Sensitive to Paint Fumes?

manders

I would have thought so Mark... I mean when I used kerosene to heat the greenhouse for a few months I had the highest mortality of plants by far... in fact that was when a large bulk including that stenophylla rotted off.. Now I cannot back up any evidence but the greenhouse was 'fumey' and since my new setup has been functioning I have only lost plants that have been damaged in transit. It may well have been a combination of many things but I have not used the kerosene in the greenhouse since.

Hi Mark

I have had a Heliamphora die from being sat next to a plate of fish and chips! I assumed it was the fumes from the vinegar which caused all the pitchers to collapse and turn brown.

I would say that paint fumes is almost certainly the cause of the damage.

I hope it picks up, you might find that those baby pitchers which have yet to appear in the crown will be ok.

Cheers

Andy

I knew it....I knew paint can have an effect on plants. SHEEESH!! Okay! I have this new light fixture that I got a couple of months ago....due to the humidity in my nep enclousure.....the paint is falling off the WHITE reflector outside and the chips of paint fall in my nep pots. I try to remove them whenever I see...but some pieces are too small. :( DAMMIT!!! Rusted paint chips....that surely isn't good. :( :(

Hi Mark

I have had a Heliamphora die from being sat next to a plate of fish and chips! I assumed it was the fumes from the vinegar which caused all the pitchers to collapse and turn brown.

I would say that paint fumes is almost certainly the cause of the damage.

I hope it picks up, you might find that those baby pitchers which have yet to appear in the crown will be ok.

Cheers

Andy

:( Just when i was beginning to think they were easy, i guess theres not much pollution at the top of a tepuis so it makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...