Sarracenia growing in pure sphagnum

Sebulon

Hello again!

I bought 3 sarracenia last monday, and to my surprise, they were growing in pure sphagnum! Do sarracenia like to grow in pure sphagnum, should I repot them immediatetly? If they can survive the end of this year in that sphagnum moss, I was thinking about repotting them after the dormancy. Is that good?

Almost forgot, if you need the species. They are: S.alata, S.purpurea ssp. venosa, and unknown Psittacina hybrid. If someone wants to identify the last one, I can send some pictures. :lol:

:tu:

They're fine in sphagnum and sometimes grow in nothing but live moss in the wild.
Oh, ok. So, I'll just leave them in their sphagnum. Thanks a lot.

:yes:

One of the most respected hobbyists ('bugweed') says that he use pure sphagnum peat. He's been growing these things for over 4 decades, so....

• 9 years later...

Hi Ian, 

this thread’s actually ten years old but I was searching an answer on the same topic so I revived it hahaha. 

I reported my sarracenia this morning in some sphagnum along with its original soil it came in but whilst mushing it all together I think I broke some roots. Do you think it will be okay with some roots damaged? It’s a hardy plant, having pulled all through last summer in the horrible vase it was in when purchased at Homebase. 

48AC508A-E5D1-47AD-B2C7-2E91568F68EB.jpeg

Yes, you can pot up bare rhizome with no roots at all and it'll grow back. The supposed big thing about Japanese Knotweed is that it'll regrow from a tiny bit of rhizome, but so do a lot of plants, including sarracenia.

How much light is your plant getting though? It looks a bit light starved

Hi Alexis, 

it's usually positioned on my balcony getting a good amount but have had to put it inside when out as we’ve had plants and garden lights stolen in my area recently. Pathetic. But welcome to Guildford. 

Admittedly, it’s got some transfer shock since being repotted but that horrible vase it was in was going to kill it- it nearly did last summer. 

The reason the new pitchers are all curved over right now is because it has transplant shock, but that should clear by the weekend- have cut back the dead pitchers and am keeping it well watered. 

It was necessary to transplant it because it’s prone to white spot mildew and in the vase it came in it was a chore to pick away at any low lying pitchers which had gone white. 

Still, with watering and some sun the roots should recover and the transplant shock end. 

• 2 weeks later...